Looking at a 308 ???

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by irayone, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have the utmost respect for true long-distance shooters. I have used 'wind flags' on the 100 yard range when shooting the lowly .22LR, and have seen wind from three different directions at once over that miniscule distance! Had to time my shots 'just right' for true pin-point shooting that day!
    At one THOUSAND yards...... awesome!

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

ccc...I'd like to see Boddington down here..In a boat with Troy Landry...
    I'd ride along as a translater...No i'm a right hander...Just a picture off Rugers site...and the latest model Gunsite Scout...They are sweet.!!!
    Just something about it says..Shoot me and see what i can do...

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and Guit_fishN like this.
  5. irayone

irayone Monkey+

Ouestion...Regarding recoil....Gas V.S. non gas operated in .308. I feel I am a better shot with a gas operated rifle...any comments?

6. Seawolf1090

I prefer non-gas operation. My CETME is the only semi-auto .30cal (nominal) battle rifle that I can keep on target while rapid firing, and has the least felt recoil. It is also more forgiving of ammo variations than many finicky gas guns. Clean-up is a cinch too. No gas tube to Roto-rooter.

VisuTrac likes this.
  7. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I suggest you check out an AR-10. My Bushy LR.308 is more accurate than my bolt gun, and there is hardly any recoil.

8. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

As promised. My simple yet effective Oracle. Pictured with iron sights on, scope above it can be quick mounted for making that long distance call...
    Oracle.

STANGF150 and wags_01 like this.
  9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Thanks for that link, I am going to look into that one.

I don't think I mentioned it in my original post, but I think one of the better deals right now is the FN SPR in .300 Win Mag. The advantage that the FN SPR has is the chrome-lined bore. Throat erosion kills accuracy in stainless barreled long range guns. Longevity is different for every gun. Not many barrel makers can chrome-line precision barrels and keep them accurate, but FN has found a way by all accounts I've heard. This is really important for a high pressure magnum round in terms of longevity. If you intend to practice with any regularity (extremely important for that sort of distance), consider the chrome lined barrel of the FN SPR line.

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

FN uses hard chrome not soft chrome and there is a big difference.

Chrome plating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, soft chrome is ornamental; hard chrome is for wear surfaces. The easiest place to see hard chroming is the shiny rod in the cylinders which hold a car hood or hatch open. Car mechanics see hard chroming on crankshafts and camshafts. Hard chroming is a common manufacturing process.
    What isn't common is FN megabucks hammer forging process which means they can hold tighter tolerances than button rifling. The tighter tolerance allows FN to use hard chrome. Due to the megabucks buy in; none of the smaller companies can afford the equipment.
    Although hammer forging barrels isn't new; the capability of FN's equipment to hold dimensions very close to the nominal size is very new.

Plus, no straightening required..

Hispeedal2 and BTPost like this.
  11. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Looking at a .308???

Check out the Bushy, DPMS's new brother. 1030.00 cash.
    AR-10 085. AR-10 083. AR-10 scope dial .

12. irayone

irayone Monkey+

Thanks for all the advise.....!!!! I have decided on the M1-A,,,Now willI notice the difference in the standard model compaired to the National and super match???

13. Seawolf1090

At this point in time, the AR10 is too much dinero for me. I''ll keep my Spanish Lady - she's not a high-maintenance sort of gal. ;)

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

In the case of an M1A, if you aren't doing any high power, I would go with a regular GI-profile rack grade one (Standard Model). JMHO. I've owned a loaded, Scout, and SOCOM. I think the Loaded was the most fun. Having a slightly smaller diameter barrel would have made it a bit more fun (lighter). Having used M14s on SKTs, they are certainly still viable on today's battlefield.

The older ones had USGI chromed barrels (I kind of sound like a parrot here). I think the newer ones are new production barrels without CL. You may want to look into a used model.

Get mags from Checkmate. They are available 44mag.com and some other places. They are the current USGI manufacturer.

15. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

I'd like to second this recommendation for the standard model. And the checkmate magazines from 44mag.com as well.

100 yards, surplus ammo, and iron sights:

100yardzero.

And I am NOT a marksman !!!!!![dunno]

chelloveck and Hispeedal2 like this.
  16. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

It's crazy how well they shoot, eh?

Good job!

17. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I just yesterday picked up a P17 rec. that I had ER put a 308 barrel on (1.125 heavy)
    and had it all blued to M16 black .Rec. milled down to accept a leupold mount and got it all done for under $750 .Oh and they had to get me another bolt and rework it because the other one was warped .
    I picked the rec up from a yard sale for $10 .
    PM me and I can give the guys name to deal with.

18. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Got my eye currently on a Bushmaster ORC at moment, to add to the collection. Sumday an AR-10 will join it. :)

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have an FAL with a 10x mil dot which shoots right well. It will bust clays then the pieces all afternoon at 200m. I sort rifles by their capability, some stay natural, some earn dots, some earn glass and some earn quality glass. ;)

20. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Be sure to factor in the cost of extra magazines.

I just bought 100 HK91/G3 magazines for < $100 from Cheaper Than Dirt. ...should last me for a while [booze]

There are a couple of AR-10 platforms that can use these mags, CETMEs, PTR91s and of course, HKs. Even if you can't use them, you might be able to trade them in a few years.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7