Looking for a .30 truck gun...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, Apr 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Not exactly the same caliber, but I'm getting ready to buy a Henry Lever in .38/.357.....with a revolver (Ruger) in same....
    Just an idea.....

Oddcaliber, ghrit and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

If we're going to completely abandon the original intent of finding a .30 caliber truck gun... KIMG2370.

3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

rfb18-right.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. ochit

ochit Monkey+

The mini is not a tack driver once the barrel gets hot it cost a lot more than a lever action.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'd run with a 30/30! If you got money a CZ 572 7.62x39. LGS has one here. Man, do I want that rifle!

Gator 45/70 and ochit like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I intend to wear the gun at work on a fairly regular basis, maybe on a single point, but ideally slung, and also use it as a GHB/riding with a buddy/woodswalk carbine kind of thing. Get something more powerful/accurate than my revolver, gain some range, maybe scare off some trouble, maybe draw some "cool factor" sales.

.30-30 is not THAT small for wearing around IN the store all day, and weight is a big factor in switching over from some of the other rifles I already have. Not really worried about reloading for it, though I have some people that reload I could talk to if time comes. Wanting something...capable...of returning fire if a robbery or something breaks out, or the law gets in a tight spot, now that I am moved into town. Seen some weird stuff go down before.

Motomom34, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. If I were going to buy a .38/.357, I'd buy a Marlin 1894c. A coworker of mine had a bad experience with Henry half cock notch, nothing was damaged, sent it back to company, it came back with nothing changed. Half cock would catch the hammer but pulling he trigger would still drop the hammer. Notch just would not hold sear when going from full cock down to half cock. If you get one make sure to check the half cock position.

Gator 45/70 and ochit like this.
  8. ochit

ochit Monkey+

"truck gun" that conjures up all kinds of images from single shot to full belt or mag fed but I like a lever also it has it's place you can load between shots slim and no protrusions in it's original configuration. I like the idea you can mate it with a pistol in 357 44 or 45

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Forgot but a semi can jam w/ lead bullets, plugs the gas port. lever actions shoot most everything including subsonic without jamming thats a plus.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

For "wearing at work" I'd take the lever gun over anything with a magazine and charging handle.
    Slung upside down and behind your arm it will go unnoticed by any casual observer.
    Aimed fire will always stop a fight faster than volumes of unaimed fire, and is easier on the real estate.
    The old lever gun has advantages here as well, being powerful enough to stop a threat through a wall, and able to fire over cover without much exposure since it has no protruding magazine.
    Sure, it's manually reloaded. This becomes nearly instinctive with practice, and I've seen no difference in speed between a pistol caliber lever gun and a .22 semi-auto, making aimed shots on clay targets at 30 yards. Rifle calibers will slow down the rate of fire just a bit, but will give far greater energy at longer ranges.

oldawg, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I am afraid that you are looking for something that is not available for love nor money. Indoors, slung, accurate to over 100 yards, intend to back up LEOs, rifle power, small enough to conceal, yadda yadda. There might be a benefit to narrowing down intent, or simply accepting that do it all tools seldom do anything well.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

What you see is how it was bought, white arrow and all.

DSCF2772.JPG

DSCF2773.JPG
    AS happens, the rifle is a SAVAGE 340, not a SEARS as I thought. no serial number so made before the gun laws of the 68 fiasco.
    Of course it was also sold under the SEARS Logo but it had a different model number.
    Yes I know the date from a stamp on the receiver.
    Came drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.
    Shoots good with the installed sights.
    4 round clip.
    16 inch barrel.
    Sling swivels.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    3M-TA3, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Mossberg MVP in 308 takes ar10 mags

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That little Savage is sweet!

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  15. That Looks just like the one I have. Mine has a weaver scope base. Don't remember what scope it has.

16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Now understand I do not have this carbine, but It would fit the general needs you suggest.
    Price is right as is the weight.
    New From Hi-Point: 10mm Carbine - The Truth About Guns
    Forums

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  17. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Got one like that too. Mine is a bit newer

HK_User likes this.
  18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Had first hand experience with Hi Points before, would honestly prefer a spear. Haha. 10mm is nice though.

HK_User likes this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have had Spanish FR-8 Carbines in 7.62 with a Mauser action... excellent truck guns...

[​IMG]

20. Is #22 a rolling block? What caliber?

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki