Wanted Looking for a Machinist with a Lathe and some 3/8 Brass Rod.....

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by BTPost, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Driven Element. Looking for a Machinist, with a Lathe, and some 3/8 Brass Rod..... I will pay $100US plus shipping, to ANYONE, who machine the posted Drawing, with exact Measurements to .001" in Brass.....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    sec_monkey likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check with Mortis on the Handloader's Bench.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I don't know what a "Courner" reflector is, it like a dead reflector, or what... does it have to be solid brass, or can it be tube?

Rancher

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Corner (oops, BT) reflector is a directional antenna, in this case, very specific dimensions. For those dimensions drawn, solid is required. Saying that, a different length and size may work in tubing. BTPost will advise.

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. BTPost

It needs to be solid Brass, however the Small end can be a cutdown Treaded Brass Bolt, with the Head removed, that is screwed into the Rod Base.... The Critical things, are the LENGTH Dimensions, and the Rod Width Dimensions. These are what sets the Frequency, and Bandwidth of the Antenna. I don't spell well, and the CADD Program doesn't have a Spell Checker... Should read "Corner Reflector" like the one in Path Survey on Sunday...... | Page 2 | Survival Forums Post 12....

There, fixed the Spelling....

Yard Dart, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Trying to call Dad.. He is out and about, and he won't take payment. He expects one to give what one values the job to the church.

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  7. BTPost

@Dont.... If he will make it for me, I will donate the $100US to the Monkey, for Site Maintenance.....

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@BTPost --Is the threaded part recessed/chamfered or is it flush at the end? Just my inquiring mind.

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. BTPost

The Originals were One solid Piece of Brass Turned, and the the 8-32 Threaded end made with a Die.... When I got 4 of these Antennas, 30 years ago, they were in a Phased Array, on top of Hoonah Mtn, at the Alascom Site, and were that end, of a Radio Phone Shot to a Logging Camp 45 miles to the south. The Logging Camp closed, and the Tropospheric, 60" High, Billboard Antenna that they were Mounted on, was being torn down, so I asked to get the Corner Reflectors, as Junk. The Driven Element on one was broken off, when they were lowered to the Ground. They sat on the Ground, out back, for a few decades. Then I used two of them, for a 10 Mile UHF Phone Link, to a Remote Site @ Litnikof Cove, Alaska, from the Haines, AK Airport. When the Linikof Cove Site, got Wired Phones, a decade later, those Antennas were junked by the Manager. I called him, two weeks ago, to see if they might still be around. No Joy there.... So, when I went to do the Path Study, I dug out the two I had left, and then remembered that one was busted. So I used the one, and dug up the 10 element Crossed Yagis for the other end. Of course, They haven't made these Antennas in Decades, so there are NO Parts available, and why I am looking for someone to build me, a New Part. A New Part, will turn a "Hunk of Scrap Metal, in a very nice, Servicable Antenna, again.... That is the Story, as I recall....

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

So, it's flush at the base of the rod where the 8/32 threads are. Thanks.

BTPost likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm going to guess that unless otherwise specified, C-360 would work.

12. BTPost

The exact makeup of the Brass, is not significant... Copper itself is to soft, and might bend in the weather, where Brass, has more strength. Once the oxidation on the surface takes place the electrical properties, are very stabile. I have both of the Antennas, dissembled on the front room table, (AlaskaChick is still in NYC, till thursday) and I am going reassemble one, from the best parts of Both, for now. Then if I can get a New Driven Element, I will reassemble the second one. Tomorrow, I will replace all the O-Rings in the Antenna Feeds, and test the Antenna with my Cushman CE-50A1 w/Spectrum Analyzer/Tracking Generator option, setup with an Impedence Bridge. This will prove out the Frequency & Bandwidth of the Antenna, and measure the Front to Back Isolation Ratio. That will tell the tail, on if it is still operational near the Factory Specs, and give me a Baseline, if I can reassemble the second one.

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

PM me if you don't get what you need in the next couple weeks. I have not set up and leveled my lathe in my new shop and I need a reason to do that. I can't get to this for a couple weeks but after that it would be very easy to make this. I wouldn't need any payment, would be happy to help you out.

AT

Taku, Dont, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Sorry, Dad has not answered his phone, think he is with the cousin's for the holiday.

15. BTPost

This isn't a Hurry Up deal, at this point... I just need one, to complete the ReAssemble, of my second Antenna. The first one goes to the ABP Radio Upgrade Project.

16. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

BT

Did you get your rod made yet?

I sent the drawing off to a local machinist friend to see what he will quote.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
    sec_monkey likes this.
  17. BTPost

No, Not yet.... Thanks, AD...

sec_monkey likes this.
  18. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I will let you know when I get a response. from my guy

sec_monkey likes this.
  19. BTPost