looking for a new utility knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by E.L., Aug 13, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anybody know anything about Becker?
    bk7__medium__622.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

supposed to be tough as nails and I know some who swear by them over the KBar second gen blades.

I don't know much more.

I'll step aside for the knife folks to chime in [gone]

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Like melbo I've heard people swear by them. I've had no experience with them personally though.

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm pretty new to all the brands of knives and don't know this brand. If I had any made I'd show you a couple of mine but my left elbow isn't letting me get any work done!

5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

6. E.L.

Thanks Ghost, I just finished with the review. Not bad for a $46 knife. Outperforms a lot of more expensive ones.

7. ghostrider

I figured you'd be gone a couple of hours, reading all the reviews. If CS couldn't tear it up, it's a good knife. Get one, I'll regrind it for you when you get tired of chopping wood and cutting rope with it.

8. E.L.

Deal. I just read the reviews on the BK 7.

9. ghostrider

Another he reviews, and a friend of mine recommends highly, the Swamp Rat.

10. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Swamp Rats are great knives.... it's related to the Busse line of knives but alot cheaper.... they are tough as nails.... unfortunately the delivery time can be slow.... alot of these knives are going to the military overseas.... still they are worth the wait..... and the Swamp Rats have an unbeatable garantee.... you decide if any damage is under waranty.....

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/knives.html

11. melbo

THanks Bear. Good to see you popping in here regularly!

I looked at some Swamp Rats at Knob Creek with Clyde and phishi last Spring. Looked pretty stout. I think the Guy had some Busse's too. Very nice stuff.

Of course, I could have been looking at something else. phishi would know

12. ghostrider

It's Busse's daughter, IIRC

13. Bear

Thanks for the welcome Melbo..... always knew you were one of the good guys....

Yup.... Swamp Rats a great knives.... I like the handles better than the micarta too.... fit my hands better.... they also have a great little utility knife .... mistake run called an INFI Coot.....

14. Bear

Here's a nice one.... Bill Buxton is featured in the latest Blade Magazine... check it out... His knives a pretty tough.... and pretty too.... Beauty and the Beast....

15. Bear

Here's the green version.... don't see this one very often....

16. E.L.

Nice, very nice. Big money?

17. Bear

Bill just raised his prices a bit.... these are now... $250.... not bad for what you get... and compared to some of the big names.... read the article in the current Blade Magazine.... I think these are worth every penny.....

18. melbo

What's the OA length of those Bear? I like the proportion of blade to grip..

19. Bear

Hey Melbo... welcome back.... here's the quote from the email Bill sent me...
    "Both knives are 9" with a 4 3/8" blades. Both are forged from 52100 round stock. 3 x's quenched, 3 x's tempered. The white handled one is Ivory micarta with a black spacer between handle material and tang, 8 nickel/silver pins. The green handled one is canvas micarta ( I had several people inquiring about a more grippy handle so I added the green canvas micarta) with a black spacer between handle material and tang, 8 nickel/silver pins.
    Both knives come with a hand sewn leather (8-9oz) pouch sheath, and buyer had option of right or left hand carry."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7