Looking for input from some monkeys....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrayGhost, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Lest you forget global warming ;) :D

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Corpus area is my old stomping ground...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

What trades are you looking for... some spots in NC might work out for you....

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and GrayGhost like this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Manufacturing/industrial mechanics and maintenance, project supervisor/manager in same.

I'll have a look-see...never paid too much attention to the other coast. FIgured East and West were somewhat similar, barring southern end.

Gator 45/70 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  5. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Corpus is famous for causing health problems for the residents. Too many factories polluting the place. I worked with a guy from Brownsville and he said to stay clear of the area. Lots of bad stuff going on. I have only been there once making a delivery it was very muggy. I was thinking on Texas and the hunting is kind of limited unless you have a lot of money. I kind of liked those places in the sticks like Alpine and Fort Stockton. I was amazed at seeing a lake by Del Rio. I ran through the area hauling freight to Laredo a lot. Good luck!

Motomom34, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My first thought is "Are you nutts?'

That being said and only as a reply to your statement.
    I'd suggest you find a job first along with visiting the area and counting the windows with bars on them.

West of the metroplex aka DFW on I20 is developing at a slow pace (relative to DFW)and the land north and south of it is still considered cheap.

Linked in might be a good place to start looking for available job offers in Texas. I have offers daily that fit my experience and have connected with friends from the Mil as well as past work places.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and GrayGhost like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The I-45 corridor south east from DFW is growing more slowly than the rest as well.

However, there are no promises. There's literally almost no other direction to grow in other than West towards Mineral Wells.

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and HK_User like this.
  8. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Absolutely. And no, I'm not just moving blind. We have a trip planned for late spring/summer of next year to do a bit of travelling and assessing the area(s) along the coast, maybe a little further inland...

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I’d suggest looking at Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana. IN is very red, TN mostly red, and KY is mostly red as well. Lots of jobs in all three states, manufacturing is strong due (right to work laws and not union dominated) and many jobs are related to automotive industry. The support economy in construction, retail, etc. is also consequently strong. Unemployment in IN and KY are under 4%.
    Property in the country is still available and if you don’t mind being 20-50 miles from bigger cities can be had for rather reasonable prices. Taxes aren’t too bad. KY does have a significantly underfunded pension system for teachers and public employees that is creating some issues in the capital and might affect taxes a bit at some point. IN is in very sound financial shape as a state, probably the best in the nation. Eastern TN is often noted as the American Redoubt of the East (as Idaho, Montana, etc. are for the west). Hills to hide in yet flat enough areas to grow some crops.

Weather is also reasonable. Ample rain to water crops and harvest. Summers aren’t as oppressive as Houston and winters are pretty mild, save northern IN which gets lake effect snow. Tornados exist but you are east of tornado alley and far enough from the coasts that the hurricanes just bring a healthy rain at worse. There is the New Madrid fault north of Memphis along the Mississippi that could be bad some day but stay at least 100 mile east of that and quake risk is low.

AT

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

If I were to move, which I won't, I would look at Wyoming. Why? Low taxes (I think 2nd in entire country), good gun laws, reasonable people, and the recently new oil fields which are bringing a lot of wealth to the state and its people. I would imagine a guy with your skills wouldn't find it hard to find work in the oil industry.

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and Zimmy like this.
  11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Yes, you are correct in your assumptions. I have worked in the oilfield in times past...I've worn may hats over the years. My experience has been that all the money made there is in overtime, and not necessarily in higher wages. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not looking to work that many hours again anytime soon.

12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Doesn't Wyoming have winters as low as -1000*F and 2000 mph winds?

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: Not in the high desert areas where I was east of Rock Springs. (But the canyon winds will change your lane for you, or knock a few knots off your top speed if coming at you from the front.)

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and Zimmy like this.
  14. I'm biased, Take a look at Iowa. Deer are becoming pests. Different areas have grouse and hun not to mention ring necks, turkeys, and quail. We have Trout, Northern, Sauger, Sturgeon, Tiger Muskie, all kinds of catfish, spoonbill. Trapping if you're so inclined. Fur prices leave something to be desired. Employers and builders are looking for skilled trades. U.E. rate around 3% last I heard. Openings in I.T., medical, retail is looking a bit sketchy. We got way too many lawyers though. Check the Iowa state employment web site. Oh yeah, some small towns have been GIVING away lots if you build and live there. Worst thing is our proximity to Illinois.

15. bpaintx

bpaintx Monkey+++

Take a look at NW Texas (Nw of Brownwood) as well, our economy is doing well and there are plenty of things to do as well as fishing.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and GrayGhost like this.
  16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Yessir, you are correct.

17. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

We may very well pass through there on our scouting trip next spring. Lots of options, it seems...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Look around Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend

19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I thought that was North Dakota.....

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7