Looking For Land - Which State?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brokor, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, the one factoid I am familiar with is that Missouri is the "cave state", with a huge amount of cave systems.

E.L. -That pic is beautiful!

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks, here's another.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Brokor?

Texas is beautiful! :)

Couple more years, and I'll be there...Finally made up my mind. Coupled with the fact that 2 of my friends, who are preppers, are moving there...and we're looking at a place together. Seperate homes, but close by..REAL close by...

We've already picked the place, and now just finding the best price...My friend's husband retires from Boeing in just under 2 yrs, and looking at that time frame...

4. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

Question about Michigan....somewhere on one of the anti-gun sites I read praise for Michigan mandating that ALL handguns must be brought into the police station and physically presented to the police for inspection and registration........but I haven't heard anyone on any of the survival forums mention this when talking about MI.....what's the situation?

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Poke around on the NRA/ILA website. There are a couple other places too, that have compendia of state gun laws, more or less current. Googling up "gun laws" will turn up over a lot of info. We have a few MI folks on the forum that might have better info. When I lived there (a long time back) the paranoia wasn't as prevalent, ran into no problems with either long or short guns.

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Corpus Christi. When I was there (and granted, it was summer) it was so hot and humid, that the air felt thick. I opted not to move there (plus, they have really large insects and scorpions).

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh, good to know. [gone]not staying there.

I remember living in San Antonio in 2006 and thinking...."My gawd is that the sound of my brain frying in my skull?"

I will have to do some searching, though. I love Texas as a state, that's for sure. Freedom lovers galore. [gun] I might do as some here have suggested and look around a bit in that area north and East, possibly even other areas of Texas -I dunno. I am stuck here in the middle east until late '09. [dunno]

8. Quantrill

Quantrill Monkey++

SE Kansas ain't bad. Low population density? Hell, Elk county only has 3200 people in the whole damn county. Jobs are a problem, unless you are retired or able to work for yourself.

9. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

I know where a bunch of caves are in Missouri as well as springs.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I was looking at land in that area for a time but haven't actually been looking lately. Found 100,000 acres in the late 90's for $100 an acre. But they wouldn't split any, all or nothing. Couldn't get enough people together to buy it.

About 5 years ago I went there and looked at 180 acres that was listing for $180 an acre. Small pond, creek, about 2/3 going up the side of a mountain. But it faced a well traveled paved road and had a logging trail cut through the middle of it that locals used every weekend for 4-wheelers, 4X4's, and horsebacking. So turned it down. But I heard later that it finally sold for $140 an acre.

One advantage is that you can find smaller parcels that are adjacent to vast areas of wilderness. The Ouachita Natl. Forest is something like 3.5 million acres and Wehrhouser(?spelling) Paper company owns several hundred thousand acres that they log. You can get a permit to hunt,fish and camp thier land for $14 a year.

Lots of very remote mountain land available there for cheap. Some places are 4-wheel drive access only. I plan to retire there so I try to keep up with prices in the area. They got really high for awhile. Hundreds of OKC and Dallas/Ft. Worth people bought land there pre-Y2K. They started selling out by '02 except for a few who kept weekend places. Then the oil boom brought a lot of new income to the area. But with this economy they will probably drop back to normal or lower soon.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7