Looking for the Easiest/Fastest Way to Process Rabbit Pelts/ Fur On

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Gopherman, Dec 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

This is where the mink oil comes in!

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ditch witch you forgot to chew them with your teeth or get grandma to use her gums ;)

Dont, Brokor, Yard Dart and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

You all may have a look at this book.. I have not tried it, however, it is hunting season and I have put the word out to get some hides.. looks easy enough so even this monkey may be able to not mess it up..

Amazon.com: Brain Tanning The Sioux way

kellory and Gopherman like this.
  4. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I do some part time work as a taxidermist at my father in law's shop. Been a while since I've been over to do any work...too many other things going on either for him or me.

There are a multitude of ways to tan a hide. Not all of them will leave the hair, and for the hair to really be "set", the hide should be taken in the winter. Tannic acid is used by some, and it's free if you've got any tannin producing plants around in sufficient quantities. Oaks trees/acorns are an example. I guess battery acid works...but if you're buying battery acid, I have to ask WHY!?. There are substantially less toxic methods and chemicals available. This is what we use: MKUAQ That and non iodized salt, per the directions, have tanned everything I've put it in, including some really, really greasy coon hides. I skinned them, and they had at least a 1/2" layer of fat all over. The bear hides I've done were nowhere near as greasy.

I flesh the hide to remove the majority of any meat or fat, then cover it with non iodized salt, roll it up, and elevate one end to allow it to drain. The next day, I finish fleshing, and put it in the pickling solution. It stays there for 3 days, then comes out and gets rinsed. After the rinse, we put it on the stretching rack and paint it with tanning oil. It stays there until it's dry.

Yard Dart, Ganado and kellory like this.
  1. tedrow42
  2. ditch witch
  3. cabot
  4. Recon24
  5. Gopherman
  6. Gopherman
  7. Gopherman
  8. Seacowboys
  9. Seacowboys
  10. pgrass101
  11. Tango3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary