Looking for tough sturdy big fixed blade

Discussion in 'Blades' started by MagnaWolf, Oct 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dan3

dan3 Monkey+

For a Cheap "hacker" I'd second the suggestion of Cold Steel Khukri Machete or an authentic Khukri -Nepalese or Indian inexpensive version. The CS Machete is lighter but very agile - the Khukri is heavier, but can chop thru just about anything. Both are easy to resharpen.

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have several tomahawks that depending on use might be a better choice... i don't see many og us chopping our wat throught jungles or high brush as it tends to leave a bit of a trail for others to see... a cold steel trail hawk properly sharpened will do more than most machetes and large knives...

Just a thought

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Esee Junglas and the Cold Steel Gurkha:

YouTube - Chopping with CS Gurkha, Esee Junglas by Nutnfancy

A lot of the Cold Steel line is spectacular and affordable. Also, Ontario makes superb knives.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C94D8F17A308D2AA&playnext=1&v=n9TPZ-wlc-4

There is a lot to choose from, and I think most of the bases have already been covered by Al and the others who know from experience what to trust and what not to use. The bottom line is, that you don't necessarily have to spend a great deal of money for quality -but if you can afford a bit more, do the homework before the investment.

4. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I have a Kukuri, but it is heavy. But it chops wood great.

5. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My hunting buddy and I just each bought the Gerber Gator Brush Thinner at our local outfitter's store. $43.99 each - not cheap, but this baby is a major cutting implement!
    They also had the el cheapo flimsy Chinese-made machete (same one I got years back at Wally's) that is thin and bends easily. Interesting comparison - the Gerber wins hands down!
    The Gerber is short and handy, has a stiff blade, has a long comfortable rubber grip, you can even use two hands for really tough cutting/chopping!
    I am thinking of filing a saw-tooth edge on the back, and adding nail puller and bottle opener slots to increase versatility. It's stiff enough to use for light digging (catholes when camping...) and will make short work of making kindling.
    It would naturally make a WICKED weapon, if the need arose.
    The sheath is handy, holds the tool very securely, and the straps allow normal blade-down belt carry or can be mounted veritcally on pack straps.

GerberGear > Product Details > Gator Brush Thinner

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If the blade is too stiff to properly set the teeth, it's a waste of time and effort. Saws really have to have the teeth offset to properly function as a saw instead of making a groove to trap the blade. (The other things you mention are fairly good ideas if you can do them without weakening the blade for the more strenuous tasks.)

vonslob likes this.
  8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I think the guys that think that a machete-type blade is only good for S. America should actually try one.

They are quite good at chopping even decent sized wood in two. Splitting is as easy as batoning. I like axes too, but don't disrespect the machete.

9. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

I agree completely. Here are two articles I cooked up on this topic a little while ago: 5 Types of Machetes – Choose Before You Buy , Survival Axe – Choosing the Best Tool

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I've used both... in Panama and around the farm i prefer my russian machete to any mentioned here... However the tomahawk can do any thing a machete can do and more... and may be a better survival tool check this video out...

YouTube - Cold Steel Trail Hawk

11. TEXAS REBEL

TEXAS REBEL Monkey+

This is one that I have.
    I have cut 4 inch branches with it with no problem.
    Hacked off Deer legs with it with 1 swipe.
    Cleared brush around campsite.
    Keeps a sharp edge also.
    A2

These are also some good knives
    Anza Knives Custom Hand Made Knife

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  13. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

14. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

I once saw a torture test where a CS Kukri was tested to destruction.. amazing! It depends on what you want to accomplish.. the cheap HUGE Paki bowies are good for chopping small firewood, hold a good edge and are CHEEP. But my favorite will always be an 18 inch blade Ontario cutlass handle machete. Deadly weapon, tree feller and you could dress out game with one in a pinch. They are every bit as tough as the CS. I own both. Now as a pure weapon, the Junglee Short Sword in AUS 8 stainless is hard to beat. I have one on my Blackhawk recon pack

[​IMG]

A very good Kukri is the Windlass Steelcraft version

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr