Looking into solar

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by maverickxxx, Feb 25, 2012.

1. maverickxxx

maverickxxx Monkey

So my idea of battery bank an add panels after isn't crazy idea? I do realize it's backwards. An yes I'm thinking higher output stuff upfront.

2. maverickxxx

maverickxxx Monkey

okay so heres the deal now i just picked up 34 foot rv its in pretty decent condition. its got propane /gas fridge freezer gas ranage heat etc... its 85 so its a little older. i havent gone through whole thing yet just been cleaning. now should this have an inverter? i does have one deep cycle battery i dont think it wrks its very old one. i got some stuff to mess around with tommrow. as far as that goes. is it just lights12volt that run off battery on these or does it have inverter that turns it to ac power. i was thinking a couple batteries an panels to power this it would also get my feet wet on solar. tommrow is there something i should look for that will tell me what the inverter is an looks like? i did see the breaker box.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Starting the solar adventure

It seems like you are embarking on an adventure in self sufficiency.....I'll look on with interest in how the adventure progresses. We'll all learn something from that journey. Cheers from Chello (sorry I'm not much help with your questions about inverters and solar electrics...words are more my stock-in-trade).

4. maverickxxx

maverickxxx Monkey

thats okay solar is new area for me an dont have any guidance in my usual circles. i can get water there an septic heat cook etc... but can only produce power from a genartor for now

5. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Maverickxxx, Most rv's have a Converter , not an inverter. A converter, converts ac power into 12v power. Just the oppisite of what you need. It enables an rv to plug into grid power such as a camp site etc. You most likely also need 12v in it to run your heater and even your refer. 12v refers require a 12v line to make them work, even on propane. Lights, water pump etc all need 12v also.

6. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

Solar off grid

Maverickxxx, are you planning on the rv being your year round, long term living space? Are you on your own land? If not, then you will want to size your system to what you can set up temporarily, and fit inside if you are forced to move...if you own the land, than you can set up an array of panels, and a shed to house all the elect. that goes with a solar system... If, this is a temporary place to stay, plan for the end product, whether a cabin, house, etc.You can always expand, but you want to get certain item that will grow with your system, not be replaced.Also, plan now on the end voltage your system will be, the higher(up to 48v) the better. This is one of the things that needs to be known NOW, as inverters, and other items can be REAL expensive to change out if you change operating voltage. As noted, i have 10 235 watt panels, and the outback Flex-Power system...without batteries im already approx $7500.00 into it...But, if grid isn't available, or your more than a couple hundred yards away from power lines, solar is the way to go..But, like it was drilled into me, size your system for worst case, and remember, you HAVE to live in your systems capabilities, it WON'T adjust to you!!! It is a big step, and commitment, but one of the few options if off grid is your only option...Good luck, it will be frustrating and fun!!!rsbhunter

Nadja and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  7. maverickxxx

maverickxxx Monkey

this is just for summer while i build my house so its not going to be a huge amount i need for now. so if it has converter than i wouldnt really need to do muchas far as panels to charge batteries? i was curious cause there is outlets all over so i assumed it was converted(prolly inverted) from dc to ac to run applinces an such.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7