Looting vs. Salvaging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I know it's a tangent, but during the Paris thing at the stadium, they evacuated Hollande, but elected not to tell anyone else in the stadium because they worried about causing a panic. That should tell you everything you need to know about what they think of the public in Paris.

3cyl, oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

1) do not assign me a motive. No one but I can do that.
    2) no one can see into the future and know which of those routes they need to take now. So saying "if it is long term I will do this now, and if it is short term I will do this other thing now" is invalid and impossible.
    (I'm done here)

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Ba bye.....thank you for your insight.

Seepalaces, 3cyl and Ganado like this.
  4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Prepare now so you don't have to compromise your morals later. I would do anything to keep my grand babies from starving. Buying now means I might not have to.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Your moral compass says much about you... if you think that shit hits the fan and you can catch up after the fact... you will lose. And that most likely means that you and yours fail to survive. Best to be on your game now, learn, prepare, and plan...... vs after the fact and trying to play catch up with the rest of us.

Seepalaces, Ganado, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  6. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

This, but with one caveat...

Just because it's "there" and apparently abandoned isn't a license for us to lay claim to all of it. If there is a good reason to attempt to take it all, go for it, but if there is not, I see nothing wrong with taking only what I need and leaving the rest for the other poor souls out there who are trying to survive just like I am. It's situational fer shure.

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Good point, chimo.

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Let's throw a wrinkle into this scenario.
    The warehouse is a federal government facility

don't respond back to this, but just think .. did your answer change and under what circumstances would it.

Just a rhetorical mental exercise.

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

[​IMG]
    \Kerbside trash collection, arguably salvaging. The same trash in someone's yard or property without the owner's express permission?...theft / looting.

Dumpster diving is a grey area. Once the waste is placed into the dumpster, it then becomes the property of the business that contracts with the disposer of the waste, and strictly speaking, removing the waste would be considered at law, stealing.

YMMV

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I am a self confessed environmentalist
    You drive off and leave your machine brass all over the ground or in the dumpster It's mine!
    Just doing my part. Thanks'

11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Looting is stealing from someone during a crisis, with a connotation of victory. Looting comes from victors packing off whatever catches their fancy as a partial payment for their service. It is the primary method of payment in the Archaic period.

Salvaging is the act of taking possession of lost or abandoned items.

Honestly, WROL, when everything is totally broken down, and YOU are your own Law, you are the only person who can make that call. Looting and Salvaging are both legal terms, and carry connotations based solely on the governmental bodies that are involved in the proceedings.

There is a saying, "To the victor, goes the spoils". I see nothing to debate.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If you take by force or thief from someone after the SHTF, you may well be sentencing them and their family to death, just as dead as if you murdered them. There is no difference. Few, if any, people starve to death in the US today. Millions will after. Better to think about it now while you still have options. Not preaching, just saying.

Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  1. TI.Proof
  2. TI.Proof
  3. azrancher
  4. melbo
  5. CATO
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. sec_monkey
  10. melbo
  11. CATO