Loss of my Ruger Security-Six and brand new edc ppk/s.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Today I left home about 08;00 am. to take my sister to an eye surgeon to have her cataract removed. Got done with her about noon. Picked up some groceries for the S.I.L.. dropped them off. Got home about 15:00. Front door wasn't locked and latched. In the seven daylight hours I was burglarized. The BASTARD got my Ruger, and my brand new edc ppk/s (two weeks old). Ruger was about 45 years old and I can't find the serial number but the ppk box was just laying here. Evidence tech got lots of prints, unfortunately looks like neighbor's camera didn't catch any thing. And it looks like the BASTARD dumped boxes and threw stuff around as if he was mad he couldn't find more to steal. Thinking I'll replace them with another ppk/s and a 4" GP-100. Comments anyone?

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Damn That Suckz!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Sounds like some one knew you had them.

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I agree with @arleigh someone knew that you have guns and they may have been a neighbor. How many knew that your sister was going to be having surgery? Any neighbors that have punk teens or sketchy 20 year olds? That really sucks. Huge loss. Make sure to report them stolen. A friend of mine had a handgun stolen from his home and the thief used it.

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I keep serial numbers of all my guns in at least 3 different places. That way I always have the information. Hope the police catch this SOB before someone else gets him first!

Ura-Ki, oldawg, Oltymer and 1 other person like this.
  6. When I bought the Ruger, things were much more relaxed. No matter what breaking into someone's home and robbing it is WRONG. I cannot claim to have never broken laws, but B&E, never thought of it. There has been an eighteen to twenty-five year old african-American youth intermittently riding a bike up and down the street for several weeks Like I said though, evidence tech got good finger and hand prints. She agreed with me that with all the police shows criminals still don't wear gloves or wipe up after themselves. Fist thing I did after calling 911 was put on exam gloves so I would not inadvertently touch something. And he didn't take my icom 5200a, or the H.T.s...? Right now I am reluctant to turn in. He didn't find my 1911 though. Oddcaliber, I don't care if he gets lynched, I just want my revolver and pistol back.

GOG, Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Really sorry to hear that . I've lost 3 weapons to theft before , 2 Glocks , and 1 Beretta 92 FS ,, it surely does piss you off ,,

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Sorry to hear about the theft. The early Ruger Security-Six was only available in blue and somewhere in mid (late?) 70's started becoming available in stainless. The Bremerton, WA. Naval Yard security personnel that I used to instruct carried the .38 S&W version. The .357 version was more readily available and also the most popular, but either caliber is a serious kick in the 'yams' to lose. Very few weapons of earlier years had as much success as the Ruger Sec-Six right off the production line. It's been 30-35 years (mid 80's ?) since it was discontinued so, unfortunately, no way to replace it with a new one. HELL YES, the GP-100 would be a nice replacement.

Not sure of your local area laws or customs, but very rarely (gun oil parties and going to the range) will I have more than 2 weapons out of my safe at one time. I usually carry a main (9mm or .45acp) and a back up (.380) or just the main depending on the plan of the day and areas I will be in. In the house, I always have 1 handgun with me at all times. My overnight (loaded and ready for the things we hope never happen in the middle of the night) gun is a Taurus Judge loaded with .410/000 buck. If I'm not going to be home overnight, the wife prefers the Rem 877 12ga./00 buck.

Gloves?, Fingerprints?, DNA, Footprints,... strange...I don't believe these classes are taught as part of the 'low life how too' curriculum. Even the 'Common Sense' lessons are reserved for those few who learn it at home from parents who are active in their lives.

Eh, long post just to say "Sorry to hear about the home invasion and loss of gear. Yes, the GP-100 would be great."

9. You can tell I'm having trouble sleeping. I just got my carry permit. So I'm thinking a 4" GP100 and another PPK/s. I'm doing something I haven't done in years, I'm sleeping (or trying to) with my 1911.

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Had a Taurus 4" .38 revolver and a Star SM380 stolen years ago. They stole the Taurus out of my house and later, the SM380 out of my pickup truck.

I ended up with a safe after my father died back in the mid 80s and I inherited his collection. Been burglarized twice since then and have never lost a firearm as a result.

The thing that concerned me the most is someone misusing stolen firearms. If they end up in the hands of some meth head they could be used to do damage. They don't care if it's a unique or long out of production model.

11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

The GP100 will fill the need nicely. It is NOT a pocket piece, then again that was not part of the design brief.

Grandpa Patch and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sad to hear about the theft Marvin,Friend of mine lost at least 25K in gold coins and firearms.

His crack-head neighbor is doing time for it and only a few have been found...Beat all to Hell from rough handling.

Altoidfishfins and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Been there too, had an 870 and Mauser 98 stolen from me years ago. I feel your pain.

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

ouch not only the loss of your 'stuff' but then not being able to sleep wondering when it's going to happen again and if you are going to be there when it happens. I'm so sorry this happened to you.. I've been there and it takes awhile to get over being paranoid. I'm glad no one got hurt

GOG, Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  15. duane

duane Monkey+++

Haven't lost any guns yet, Thank God, but neighbors son, 27 years old, is out of prison on vacation, so anything might happen. He is always high, the world owes him a living, and there is no reason he should have to work when his friends are all on crazy disability income. Parents have tried everything that they can and nothing helps, then there are his "friends", and if you say anything you are a racist or something else. Old quote, to late to change anything and to early to shoot them. Sorry about the weapons, some get to be old friends and you miss them a lot more than the cash replacement value and you seldom even get that from your insurance.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    GOG, Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  16. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

I've got a Security Six that my father left me, and I love it. I also have GP 100 and agree it would be a great replacement! Sorry for your loss though, nothing like a S6.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Yeah. If you look back , you'll find a post about how happy I was when I replaced the trigger spring. I've had ( I mean I had) that revolver for forty five or forty six years . Emotional attachment. Only feel the financial loss for the Ppk/s. It' is replaceable. And members of that ethnicity complain about "profiling". Do you suppose there is a reason "profiling" occurs?

GOG, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

So some piece of human filth thinks I'm "a racist or something else". Just agree with him, and remind him what folks like me are capable of doing to the likes of him and his "friends". If they wish to test you...then do it!

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  19. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

That sucks. These are troubling times and "justice" is sure different than it used to be.

There are enough S6's around that you could find another, but of course none will actually "replace" it.

I firmly believe that before a thief or vandal goes to jail, their victim should be allowed to "lecture" them about the consequences of their actions.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  20. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

That "lecture" should be accomplished with the aid of a good solid nightstick.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7