Low Power QRP rigs

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by GrandpaDave, Dec 1, 2011.

1. strunk

strunk Monkey+

I confess, I've been lusting after an 817 lately.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Elecraft KX3

Ooooohhhh baby, want the latest and greatest?

KX3_1920.JPG

Covers all hams bands 160 to 0 M
    10 watts out

Software defined radio (woo-ho)

Cost has not been defined, but it will be pricy - count on it.

IT' s smaller brother - the KX1

[​IMG]
    just the thing for portable CW.

Brokor likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Elecraft KX3. $1Kus for a prebuilt ----- deduct $100 for the You-build it Kit....

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You QRP folks, may want to look at this Open Source, Computer Controlled, Software Driven, DSP, Radio system. Looks very interesting, and likely be available this spring.

HERMES - HPSDRwiki ------ The Radio

APOLLO - HPSDRwiki ---- the 15 Watt PEP Amp/ Tuner

strunk likes this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Plus
    KXFL3 dual-Passband Roofing Filter and KXAT3 Internal, 20-W Automatic Antenna Tuner

Pretty slick rig; but I'll stick with 100 w. ;)

6. strunk

strunk Monkey+

Actually I'm working on a QRPp rig now, something that I can take in a small manpurse like a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack. Most of the components can fit into mint tins. Not anything as slick as a SDR or an FT-817ND. They keyer components arrived over the weekend. I realized I'm going to need another tip for my soldering station to work on the SMT components.

7. familycoyote

familycoyote Monkey

for portable use i have a LNR mountain topper mtr4b with an hb9koc cw key and monoband dipoles for 80, 40, 30 and 20 meters and a spiderpole. all qrp

8. Nikita

Nikita On Hiatus Banned

It's great to hear that you're thinking about getting back into the hobby of amateur radio, especially with an interest in low power QRP (Low Power, Less than 5 watts) operations. Amateur radio has continued to evolve with advancements in technology, so there might be some exciting developments that pique your interest.

If you found something specific during your surfing that you'd like to discuss or have questions about, feel free to share more details or ask any questions you have about the new technology or trends in the amateur radio world.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7