Energy Low Power Washer/Dryer

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Apr 10, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I thought about is some more.
    Are you trying to avoid buying propane?
    Which I can understand because it ranges from expensive to very inconvenient to obtain if you live way out in the country.

There are alternatives to gas, 240v powered dryers the draw around 25 amps, and over priced heat pump dryers.

You could take a 240v dryer, convert it to run on 120v power and duct the air intake to draw in really hot attic air and power the heating element with 120v power.
    If you live some where hot and dry it works pretty well and use less power than a heat pump dryer.
    But they don't work great on cold wet days.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

How about a Maytag gas engine washing machine ?

3. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I am trying to avoid buying propane, we only use propane for the cook stove and I am hoping it will last several years without refilling. We are in KY and it gets hot but rarely dry and we have a flat concrete roof, no attic. We do have a generator but I try not to run it if possible.

ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2018 — Clothes Dryers | EPA ENERGY STAR

Whirlpool has a model that uses a heat pump and a regular element, I did the math and it looks like it uses 1500w. I am wondering if I can get it and disable the element. Samsung has a model they use across the pond that only draws 550w but they don't sell it here. I was looking on the energy star website and it appears they only certify dryers that finish in 80 minutes which almost guarantees you have to use a standard element.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There is a heat pump dryer concept I would like to try.
    I take a gas or electric dryer, preferably electric, convert it to 120v and use the heating element circuit as a slave to supply power to a portable A/C.
    Then sit a single or dual duct portable unit next to the dryer, these are the air conditioners that reject heat by blowing it out through a dryer type exhaust vent, they are not a window unit.
    Proceed to connect the hot air Discharge of the air conditioner to the heating element area of the dryer, connect the cold air Discharge of the air conditioner to your house. Run the dryer discharge out side like a normal dryer.
    Dry your close and get free air conditioning. Now you have a heat pump dryer that doesn't clog up with lint.

BenP likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have the dryer for you, at least during the cooler months.

I'm going to take an electric dryer, remove the heating element area and replace it with a inlet duct.

Then take the wires for the heating element and put them in a junction box for later use.

For winter use hook up a duct to my coal furnace to the dryer.
    The dryer can draw it's own warm air when the furnace blowers are off or be force fed air when the blowers are on.
    For me it would be kind of an awkward layout to duct the dryer to the coal furnace.
    Only draw back is there will have to be a fire going to get heat to dry clothing with.
    But the heat will be as free as your fire wood.

BenP likes this.
  6. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I wish my wood stove was closer to the washer/dryer, next house I'll keep that in mind. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7