Lowe's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E.L., Jan 14, 2007.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Check your local Lowe's for clearance items. I just six five gallon blue kerosene plastic jugs for $5 each. They say "Kerosene" on the side, but I use them for gasoline. They also would be cheaper than buying the Aqua Blue plastic water containers at Wal-Mart for storing water.

The kerosene heates are also marked way down. If you can find any that is.

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Great tip. Thanks!

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Good idea. I looked it up and there is one that is only 11 miles from here. I need a bike and trailer. I guess I know what's on my next shopping list.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

OK. Score at lowes on the Buddys.
    Wasn't listed online but they had them instore for 50% off. Had to visit 3 to find them.

3 of the regular 4000-9000 BTU and 4 of the 4000-18,000 BTU models. Also bought some of the hoses to adapt them to larger propane containers.

One thing that was a little sneaky is that they list on the box that they will burn 220 hours on low. Yep, they will... If you have them hooked up to 2 20 lb cylinders.

All in all not a bad day. I managed to pick up a 100 lb cylinder as well and get it filled. These things throw out some heat on high with the fan running!! But, only for 4 hours on 2 small cans. It will run for 12 hours on low with 2 cans.

TN-Andy taught me something today. 1 gallon of propane contains 92,000 BTUs. 20lb can contains around 5 gallons and my 100lb can was filled with 23 gallons. You can do the math to figure out how long yor heater will run.

BTU is a measure of output on most heaters. What it really measures for us is consumption.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Mine were all out....:mad:

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I had to go to the metro lowes... all the rural lowes were out. THe city folk didn't seem to see the deal in alternative heating...[sinking]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7