LPVO, Low Power Variable Optic

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Jul 21, 2023.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

LPVO or Low Power Variable Optic are very common and becoming a bit of a standard on ARs I see many at the range.
    Like most things, there are cheaper ones out there, and you can spend a few thousand dollars on one, the more expensive First Focal Plane models are very nice but even the cheaper Second Focal Plane models seem to work well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few links:
    7 Best LPVO's | Budget, Midrange, and Highend LPVO Options

Best 1-6x Scopes & LPVOs in 2023 [Real Views]

The best LPVOs worth buying

jim2, 3M-TA3, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yup, I'm Old School, been through several of the various options, but there is only ONE that has held up to the extremes and kept on going, so that is what I still run!
    [​IMG]

4x4, jim2, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  3. stg58

I am also running ACOGs and RMRs, but the chicoms are cranking out knockoffs.
    Not saying yours is a fake.
    Last year I saw a guy at a gun show with 20-30 ACOGs for cut rate prices.

$80 ACOG

FAKE Trijicon ACOG Sights, how can I tell? - AR15.COM

Product Authenticity | Trijicon®

Counterfeit Trijicon ACOG Gunsights | Consumer Alert

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    jim2 likes this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've been using the Primary Arms FFP LPVO's and really like them. I use PA over Vortex because of the ACSS reticles. Vortex has BDP reticles, finally, but they aren't as fast as the ACSS. BTW, those ACOG reticles are licensed to them by PA.

As much as I like the LPVO's they are relatively heavy and bulky. I've been using the PA 3x micro prisms on my primary AR-15's and am more than happy: Light, rugged, low drag, and just the right magnification where I can take longer shots with my left eye closed, but can cover CQB with both eyes open.

I'm considering their new 5x micro prism for my AR308 to make it quicker and lighter. Nope these are battle proven like an ACOG, nor is there glass as good, but I don't think they are far off. I would pat more of PA would make this in their GLX line that uses better glass and Philippine manufacture.

upload_2023-7-22_12-33-45.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    jim2, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I tried a cheap 1-4X on another rifle to see if I liked it. I do, a lot, and will low mount it on my .30-30 and buy a higher end unit as funds allow.

I am thinking if someone wanted to mount one of the newer 1-5,6, or 8X variables on a bolt gun that would seem to add some flexibility to the system. Just a thought.

Jim

CraftyMofo likes this.
  6. stg58

Primary Arms seems to be developing a positive reputation for their optics, many simply slap their name on an optic, but they seem to be in on the design.

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

They get very involved. Rex Tibor is among those who field test (by beating the crap out of them to see if he can make them fail.) and are privy to the details. PA goes to the point of specifying things like the glue used to hold the lenses in place (all Chinese optics use glue) to ensure ruggedness. Like Arken the designers are ex military special forces.

SLX = China
    GLX = The Philippines w/ Japanese glass
    PLX = Japan

8. stg58

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7