M1-A or Ruger Scout 308 HELP

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by irayone, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

BTPost likes this.
  2. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

BTPost likes this.
  3. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

just out of curiosity.....does anyone know if that "flash hider" on the ruger scout is removable?

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

google fu comes up with
    YES

5. irayone

irayone Monkey+

After six moths of study I purchased a Savage Arms 10 FCP-SR. Ten round detachable mag, 24 in barrel, 8.75 lbs, fluted barrel, Twist rate of 10, in 308 cal.

6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I love these questions which atart out comparing apples to oranges...

The difference in accuracy between rifles is less than the difference between shooters.

The real question is : How accurate are you ?

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

That is the biggest equation to the whole problem. Most of what I see in the real world is that most individuals think that the tools make a master instead of training and experience. I have seen so many buy an expensive firearm, yet balk at the cost of ammo or the cost of the range time/clubs to hone their skills to become accurate with what they have.

8. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

Yes it is. Vortex for me please. Both are great guns but apples and oranges of the same caliber. I would have chosen the Ruger. The M14 is awesome. But it is bigger, longer and heavier than I care to carry around. It has a standard 20 and optional 25 round magazine. Check out 44.mag.com that is where I bought my pair of 25 round mags. Very nice stuff.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I shoot 500 yards often; yet where I am sitting it is so wooded I am unable to see 50-60 yards. Field conditions have a heck of a lot of influence.

10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

To add to what NotSoSneaky and Tikka said, walk out your front door, look around, walk out your back door, look around, climb on you roof, look around, do the same for your fall-back location. How far can you really see without obstructions? Then think about how far you can shoot accurately?

IMHO, a semi-auto will put out more rounds as accurately as you need, as far as you can see from your place.

And darn those unstable boats that capsize every time I set foot in one, but only when we get to the deep part of the lake or on the fast part of the river! I got one heck of a wrist-rocket slingshot that works, tho! ;)

Kajun

NotSoSneaky, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If the location is where you plan to defend; know the terrain and make a range card. :D
    Doping or reading the wind is highly important to any kind of long distance shooting. The wind is kind of similar to rivers which affect the bullet's flight; near wind has more affect than far wind. Learn to read the wind's speed and angle.
    Having the skill to estimate range using mil-dots or a range finder if you have one helps also.

One shot from an accurate semi works as well as one from a bolt action. As it seriously flaunts your location; follow ups are more for in contact activities.

Sapper John likes this.
  12. I happen to own both. (well several m14's of various types / m1a's)

I love both for what they are.

If I have to fight a war I want a M1A / M14

For all else I want my ruger GSR.

Both server their purposes.

I as an individual could not provide war fighting logistics and do not plan on fighting one.

For over all survival / woods loafing the ruger GSR works just fine for my wants and needs.

Both can hit a 12 inch bull at 500 yards.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Both are worthy rifles in their own right.

Choosing either one and you have a good weapon, capable of providing you with excellent service.

The bottom line questions are what do you want to do with it and which one do you want most.

Given a choice I would suggest both as together they cover most wants and needs I have.

Thad.

13. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Springfield Armory has several models of the M1A available now. A model called the "Scout Squad" looks similar to the Standard M1A, but appears to be a little lighter and shorter. It could be old news, but it's new to me.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Have a squint at the offerings M1A style from Fulton. I think they are competitive pricewise, but haven't looked lately. I have one of their ARs and it's my go to if I want to break things a ways off at the range.

15. ssonb

ssonb Confederate American

I have a Savage Scout rifle in 308. The scope I use is a 2x8 extended eye relief with a simple duplex crosshair...This setup works superior in daylight, easy to shoot quick at 2x and to dial up for longer ranges...But just let it get dark and I might as well have a brick for a scope..you cannot see thru it. A Scout rifle needs an lighted reticule or dot for low light shooting.

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The M14 in wood is no match for the M1A in synthetic. ;)

Personally, I would probably lean more towards a long action AR than the M1A. The AR's ergos are better. Optic mounting is better also.

As surplus 7.62N is pricey; I'd look at other calibers also. To be proficient at 500m takes a lot of trigger time. Some of the others use less powder etc which is an advantage.

All of the "MBRs" are capable of hitting a military head and shoulders target at 500m. OTOH, with firearms which re-assembled from parts, YMWV.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7