1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

M1 Garand Tanker by Federal Ordnance circa 1980, 30-06

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Sep 30, 2012.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

This M1 was rebuilt by Federal Ord, and was stamped by them as a TANKER. A new one piece stock was designed and built to replace the two piece original stock.

A Schuster adjustable bleed valve is installed for safety when you use other than Government Spec Ammo. A Smith Enterprise Muzzle Brake is used to enhance shooting abilities.

A Rail is attached to the barrel so that a Scout Scope arrangement can be used.
  2. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

So, how does it shoot? Has it proven reliable? Do you reload for it?

3. HK_User

It is a pleasure to shoot and I use both Mil Spec rounds, reloads and Commercial 30-06 rounds. It is quick to handle in a brushy landscape.

With the gas bleed system you can taylor it to place the empties close and if you like you could use it as a single shot. Not a bad idea when you're teaching others.

It is as reliable as a rock and my only complaint is that the stock is too thick at the wrist and along the barrel area. Something I'll change when other projects tapper off.

Or I may just wait till ATI gets their new production plant up and running and purchase their M1 Garand injection molded stock in a Camo varient. They are much thinner, lighter with a butt pad and make the M1 handle more like a Mountain Rifle

I now wonder why so many people make negative comments about the bleed system, after all Garand had a Patent for an adjustable bleed system but cost and war time production vetoed that.
  4. HK_User

I did find the Patent by J. C. Garand for a gas regulater, you will note that he gave it to the US GOV,

5. techsar

techsar Monkey++

...and here I thought it was for sale for a buck or two....LOL

Nice rifle, BTW!
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary