M3A4 Hand Cart, Utility - A nice metal fabrication project.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by chelloveck, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I was browsing through some of the WWII militaria sites and chanced upon this beauty. It's a battle proven design, more so than the tactical wheelbarrow.

[​IMG]

Via: http://www.questmasters.us/sitebuilder/images/1943_John_Wood_M3A4_SN_17826_001-627x326.jpg

More pictures (including WWII operational images) can be found at....

M3A4 Utility Hand Cart

The advantage of this trailer is that it could be drawn by a quad bike without too much difficulty, or hand drawn by bipedal grunt power.

Alternatively, the M18 Paracaisson Cart might serve as inspiration for some enterprising home workshop engineer. (I can see some corrugated iron roofing going MIA in the neighbourhood!) :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Via: United States Airborne 75mm Howitzer M18 Paracaisson Cart
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    Via: The M9A2/M18 paracaisson - MILITARY VEHICLES - U.S. Militaria Forum
    [​IMG]

Via:https://handcartz.smugmug.com/HAND-CART-GALLERYS/M18-and-M9A2-PARACAISSON/M9A2/5063523_mnVzrB#!i=304664906&k=Q6N47LZ

Edit: Useful modifications might be altering the drawbar to adapt it to being pulled by animals like a dog cart:

[​IMG]
    Via: Animali nella Grande Guerra

or drawn by goat power

[​IMG]
    Via:File:StateLibQld 2 242645 Young boy with a goat cart on a Mount Isa street, ca. 1936.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

If the M18 Paracaisson Cart were to be made water tight, and be augmented with an outrigger...the cart could be used to ferry equipment and supplies across rivers and streams.

[​IMG]

Via: https://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/ph350_corrugated-iron-canoe.jpg?w=800

Turned upside down, and supported by a framework of poles...the cart could form the roof of an improvised bush hut.

[​IMG]
    Via: Garden Shed With Rowing Boat Roof Isle Of Mull Scotland October Stock Photo | Getty Images

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You gotta love ex-military equipment.
    How much for the pack Howitzer?

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I like the idea of the 75mm pack howitzer....it may not have the range of the 105mm+ ordnance, but it is certainly a versatile piece of kit that still has a role I believe. Particularly so in mountain warfare environments such as Afghanistan.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Love me some of that. Been looking into some projects along this line, gona have to see what I can scrounge up now.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The close artillery defense support and better wallop of the 75 over the mortar system would definitely be beneficial. This from a guy that was in 155 MM towed and part time with some 8-inch self propelled. Being able to move a piece of artillery by horse or by hand to this day has much value.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The main body of the above paracaisson cart would be 60% complete simply by cutting a section of 30" culvert in half;)

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I want some of those shinies...

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Use a 55gal steel barrel. Already has both ends, and would be much more stable than split culvert.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Both would work just fine, but the stability or Rigidity would come from both the corrugation of the culvert and the dividers as well as the end caps.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Interesting concept... may be modified out of lighter /more common current materials....say a plastic barrel, or water cube on a tubular frame.... take the concept and think out of the box....

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

deercart quarter shot. Or this.....

deercart flat.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Yeah, ask the French how effective a howitzer can be, against a mountainous area fortress that has been labeled as impossible to defeat. The VC just took the guns apart, transported them, piece by piece, then reassembled them on site and showed the French that NOTHING is undefeatable!

Battle of Dien Bien Phu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

chelloveck, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  13. Tully Mars

I had that same thought when I read Chell's post;)

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7