Magnetic pole reversal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oil pan 4, Mar 4, 2018.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Well at least my house is not underwater but my job is. If it happened slow enough we’d build one hell of a flood wall to protect it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

sorry @techsar I posted 2 different things on the same post with no explanation. My apologies. I just thought the flood elevation map was interesting.

Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

No problem...it IS interesting (y)

No apology necessary :)

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Ganado like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All we need is for the earth to slow down a little more in rotation, and we get to see just how high the water will rise.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

How many times you gonna have to post that video ???? [LMAO][LMAO][LMAO][Moto][hug} Thanks for shoring up my flood map post

@Brokor you have the best sources

Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't know how thr earths rotation is supposed to slow that much.
    The amount of inertia the rotating earth has and the torque it would take to counter it is mind boggling.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Brokor likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The tsunami in Indonesia had an effect on the earth's rotation and so did the tsunami in japan. it doesn't take much to alter the earth .

oldman11 likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is “ a Measurable Effect” and then there is “a Measurable Effect” .... Just because something is measurable does not mean it is an Altering Effect, in the great scheme of things...

mysterymet and oldman11 like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I would argue that anything causing that much water to move had to have been moving to counter the energy expended. (For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction.)

Ganado and oldman11 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

With satellites and atomic clocks scientists can detect the slowing of earths rotation just from all the added water in the air from El Nino.
    Even then we are talking millionths of a second per day

oldman11 likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Call it coincidental but after the tsunami in Indonesia the weather here in california changed and for 10 years it was pretty comfortable unlike previous years of triple digit temperatures for most of the year but about 2 months .
    Coincidentally after the tsunami in japan that weather changed again kind of a balance between the best and worst .
    What stoped the gulf stream ?
    For centuries England enjoyed some mild temperatures but after the gulf stream stopped their weather changed radically .Now they get frost down significantly lower than before similar to the weather Russia endures at the same latitude ..
    Australia is enduring flooding like the never had before , there are global events occurring man has nothing to do with, earth quakes, volcanos, and sun spots .

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Alf60 like this.
  14. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

The lack of sun spots is Trump's fault. I see that Occasional Cortex wants to do away with all airplanes and use high speed trains, the trip to Hawaii will be interesting, but I doubt that she's thought that far.

15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Researchers have known since the 1800s that magnetic north isn't static. But in the 1990s, it started moving faster, from just over 9 miles (15 kilometers) a year to about 34 miles (55 km) annually, Chulliat said. Then, in 2018, it took a leap over the international date line and took up residence in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Interestingly, magnetic north has been moving closer to true north over the past few years. "It's coming from a place where it was farther away from the north geographic pole, and now it's very close to the geographic pole," Chulliat said. "But, of course, if it continues in the same direction, it will go past the geographic pole and farther away again, but on the other side of the Earth, on the Russian side."

Earth's Magnetic North Pole Was Moving So Fast, Geophysicists Had to Update the Map

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Another thing might be noted to those new to orienteering the lines of magnetic flux are not strait ,some wiggle like crazy and more so around heavy iron deposits .
    These alter the declination on the compass , which when it changes can seriously alter what the compass is going to read .
    I wear a little compass on my watch band that from time to time I reference it to the location I happen to be in . It is also useful for locating the nail on a sud wall Nail are made of iron . detecting magnetic fields in electrical circuits and alternators, or phony silver coins gold/silver over steel.
    For fun I was thinking of marking 2 points on my property that represent magnetic north and south as precisely as i can and note changes as/if they occur. I have 2-1/2 acres to work with .I own a transit and scope .It should be fun .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

45 years ago my property and several others were cut out of a larger ranch. The surveyor used magnetic North. Now when someone sells a property the new surveys are moving fences everywhere as Magnetic and True North are more closely aligned (from our perspective)

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They ought to have HUNG that Surveyor for using Mag North, on an Official Survey... I would get a NEW Cadastral Survey done, using True North, and have it accepted by the State Surveyor... I would think that such a survey would NOT be Legal, under any State Statutes....

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and mysterymet like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I hate to say the end is near but here we are.
    A typical solar cycle x class flare will be catastrophic for some areas.
    A once in a generation solar flare could become a kill shot.

SB21 likes this.
  20. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Dang ,,, according to your Flood Elevation map ,,,, I've got some future water front property ,,,, for sale,,,:D:D

1. DKR
  2. stg58
  3. Brokor
  4. Mindgrinder
  5. Yard Dart
  6. oil pan 4
  7. Mindgrinder
  8. AD1
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Mindgrinder
  12. Nadja