Magnum rifle, need or want?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, May 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Want or need. If you can't do it with the appropriate loading of the 30-06, the problem is you. The Alaska DNR rates the 30-06 as one of the very best Brown bear stoppers well higher than the vastly over rated 45-70, shotguns
    and many magnums. This is based on results and tests. Oh and the world record that stood for decades Brown bear was shot by a native women with a single shot .22 lr. Yeah you pussy's. If you live in the lower 48, anything else is purely want. Not that is wrong to want, because we live in a wonderful country and fantasy sells. A .308 is just about as good and a 7 MM mag is great. A .300 mag carries 1000 ft/lbs of energy to over 1200 yards so it is great if you imagine a shot that far. My favorite is a 7-08. Remember all the mentioned cartridges work. But only if you put the bullet in the right place.

jim2, Brokor, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@D2wing and here I was thinking my 30-06 was outdated, I've never shot a bear, well there are certain men who look like bears I would occassionally like to shoot at the range but I like my freedom so I let that thought go.

But good to know that the 30-06 still has its uses. I hunted dear with it for years. Funny how deer and bear in sales woods, you don't think about the bear while hunting deer. hehe

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

winmag.

Brokor likes this.
  4. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

got a 03-A4 springfield in 30-06, got a couple of deer with it, but i don't get to hunt much unfortunately. i don't have to many others a 30-30 win., couple 223/556, couple 22lr. , hopefully i won't have to fight the golden horde, LOL. :rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

.22 mag count? My favorite gun i own is a. 22 mag.

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

22mag is the cheapest way to get anywhere close to 1moa accuracy.

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and sasquatch91 like this.
  7. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Someone called a .45-70 over rated, i think it is one of my go tos on carry in the grizzley hills of montana....next best thing to a 12 gauge slug gun.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The .45/70 is the chambering for the Alaskan GuideGun, and there is a very Good Reason for that… It is big enough to handle any critter that walks the Americas, north and south…

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

think it depends on the loading? the springfield trap doors that are still around can be unsafe with many modern loads...

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Still want a .375 H&H. Don't need one in the Mitten. If the right one pops up on local gun forum, she'll be coming home.

11. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Yea, i would rather have a good pre rem marlin lever in .45-70 over a .30-06. Just my personal opinion

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00085.JPG DSC00087.JPG
    Mossberg 4x4 in 7mm Rem Mag

What I actually hunt with, iron sights...
    DSC00088.JPG
    Hornady makes some excellent ammo for this three legged ninja. Cal. 7.62x54R - This is a 1891/59 with 1942 being the year of refurbishment. These are typically quite accurate (I know mine certainly is) and the carbine shortness is an added bonus for use as a scout rifle.

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and sasquatch91 like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I kind of want a hot gun like a 7mm rem mag or a 264win mag. But I really don't want the 800 to 1,500 shot barrel life.

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

OMG, if you get close enough to one of those feral hogs you could burn off all the hair with one of those 7.62x54r carbines.

mechstdr, Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If you want asomething ,, get it ,,, then there'll never be a reason to question needing it .

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There's a beautiful ruger no.1 300win mag at the local gun shop. I have actually never seen one in person before. I want it and I don't know why.

17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Get it .
    If ya change your mind later ,, it shouldn't be hard to unload .

mechstdr, Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. AgentPickle
  8. HK_User
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Dunerunner
  11. BenP
  12. Oddcaliber