MAGPUL - Art of the Tactical Carbine II

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Brokor, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

That is what I said at the end of my post. We are in a disagreement on this issue and I doubt that either one us is going to agree. I stated my opinion and you stated yours. I don't use abstract reasoning. I use my experience just as you use yours.

The worst sand storm I was ever in was in KU. Not the kind of sand that blows in IZ or occasionally in AFG. I am talking about that abrasive, beach type sand that is picked up and dumped in tons in the KU desert. I was heading over for my second tour and we had a MOUNTand SRM range. We went through the rest of the day firing various amounts of ammo.. (I dunnoo how many). My M4 was heavily lubed and I kept my port cover closed when not in use. Never had one malfunction.... the whole day. Not once. At the end of the day... wiped it down, re-oiled, and moved on. Was there sand in the reciever... yes. Did it affect operation... no. Even in the moon dust of IZ, I never had an issue. Even when gunning the last vehicle of a patrol. Weapon fully exposed to the dust kicked up by ever vehicle ahead of me... never once a problem.

Just for S and G, I asked five random soldiers today "How do you like your M4?" I got 4 answers that were simply "I like it". I got 1 answer that said "I like it. I would like a SCAR, though." Take that for what it's worth. Most of those guys have been on multiple deployments in the sandbox. One was in the bad sandstorms of 2003. I think those voices are rarely heard becasue the voice of the Nay Sayers are just louder. Pick up Army Times and you read and editorial by some SPC, usually nowhere near anyplace with a fight, talking about how unreliable his weapon is. What you don't hear about is the other 50 people that are happy. The ones that are happy, just don't make a big deal about it. It doesn't help that politicians get involved.

So, just chillax dude[winkthumb] We are both just stubborn products of our experiences. What does it matter either way. I call myself the Nay Sayer but I think you may have me beat :D

My tribute to the weapon system that has been keeping America free for like 50 years (as well as the Brits, Aussies, Israelies, and other nations).
    Here is a pic of my current service weapon taken today.
    [​IMG]

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Both of you gentlemen,

thank you for your service to our country. Both of you speak from experience with varying results, AK/AR, .45/9mm, Ford/Chevy/Dodge, I wonder how many arguments there have been on preferences. I like all of them, some better than others. Take out the AR-15 and AK, what is the best (including affordable) weapon for urban and rural situations. FN/FAL, M1A, AR10, G3......? I am wanting something a little bigger than my ARs and AKs, looked at a M1A Scout this weekend, but still not sure which route I want to take.

Now back to the subject of the Magpul video. If there happened to be a extra copy laying around after others were through using it........

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I am in the market for the M1a Socom, think I will buy 2 soon.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh man. I can only wish for one of these babies.

And no worries, Hispeed. I know a lot of grunts who love their M4's. After all, they ARE grunts...so I can't expect them to know too much outside their own focused military training. If you ever get a chance to cross train with some German troops or especially Russian Spetsnaz, eat that sh*t up dude. Worth every second. ;) I also had a chance to share ideas with some Georgian troops once.

Send me a PM E.L. !

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Excellent! Rule of twos [applaud]I think we may be able to start a trend.

I happen to have a SOCOM II (modified) that I may be looking to part with when I get back.
    [​IMG]
    Clearly, its effective.

E.L., I love em' all too. I have had or currently own AR15s, AR10s, M1As, AKMs, SIG 556, PTR91, and an FAL.

6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Well since we're showing off our SOCOM's!

[​IMG]

It is now wearing a USGI stock that was chopped down by 1" at the butt to reduce LOP. Much easier to use the 3x Aimpoint mag now.

m1a SOCOM II - $1800
    20 round mag - $45
    20 rounds 7.62 NATO 147 grain FMJ - ~$10.50
    4.5 second mag dump - Priceless! :D

YouTube- M14 SOCOM bump fired < Me posted to a friend's YT.

Byte

PS OMG you shot Bambi! :cry

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Mine started off as a SOCOM II.

I took off the cluster rail and sold it... I know... wanted to save weight.
    I then bought the VLTOR Modstock.
    Since that pic was taken, I have...

Added a Vortex from Smith Enterprises
    Added a picatinny rail with a sling loop- makes a bipod possible
    Added an ARMS mount, rings, and a Leupy 1.5-5x
    Replaced the front sight with NM

Possibly the coolest, most bestest hunting carbine. Deer shiver at the tuning fork sound made by the Vortex flash suppressor.

That was one of my best shots... just over a hundred yards, deer on the trot, though the woods, off hand, and open sights. I think the sights on the SOCOM are great for that kind of quick firing.

Is that a Spectre sling? I had one almost exactly like that on a Scout I had.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now, IF I wanted to read it, and IF the DVD (or equal) were readily available (say for downloading) how much disk space would I need? [dunno] Sometimes DSL is too slow for some things, ya know, and I wouldn't want to tie up my connection for very long.

9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yeah, Hispeed, it's a Specter SOP 3 point. I hate 3 points on my Ak's but for this rifle's weight the 3 point just seems to feel better. I run Blue Force Vicker's tactical slings on the AK's. Padded though 'cause I am soft. [lolol]

Byte

10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I was able to download both their Carbine I and II courses through a bit torrent site, all vids are in a avi format and have a total size of over 5 gigs.

11. Brokor

I am pretty sure that it might be about 3 gb in size.

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Other than the Barretts I had to part with, I regret selling my Troy Industries SOPMOD most of all.

I also have Volume 1 and Volume 2
    Vol 1=2.7GB
    Vol 2=2.5GB

13. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

14. Brokor

15. E.L.

I had a CAI reciever G3, I had a lot of problems with it feeding/ejecting. I would like to try one of the PTR 91's as I hear they are top notch. I have a relative with a true 93 and it is a very solid rifle that shoots flawlessly.

16. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

That looks like a CETME or FN/FAL
    What is the relationship of the original HK91 to the CETME or FN/FAL ?
    Who made what first?

The appeal of the 93 is the .223 round. Not crazy about .308 for my purposes.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

its not a Fal thats for sure

18. E.L.

The CETME looks a lot like the G3 and HK 91. I meant to say my relative has a true 91 not a 93. The problem with the design is that the receiver is not thick enough to tap and drill for a scope, that is why they use the claw scope mount.

19. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have a CIA CETME that will run like a Jugernaught if I use steel magazines. This particular rifle will beat up aluminum mags in just a few rounds and start jamming.

This rifle also has quite a "kick" to it compared to my DPMS LR308 AP4. This is a rifle I would not recomend for QCB carbine use. Oh, I also forgot to mention that it is quite heavy and cumbersome to handle.

20. HotWire

HotWire Monkey+

Great DVD! Very informative, even those who are "experts" could learn a vast amount from it. Their other DVD, the Art of the Tactical Handgun contains worthwhile information as well.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7