Magpul is Moving!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Jan 5, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Magpul is Moving!
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    January 2, 2014
    Duane Liptak, Director of Product Management and Marketing
    Tel: 303-828-3460x170
    Email: dliptak@magpul.com
    Magpul Industries Announces Plans for Relocation
    Company Is Moving Operations to Wyoming and Texas
    Magpul Industries announced today that it is relocating its operations to Wyoming and Texas.
    The company is relocating manufacturing, distribution and shipping operations to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Magpul is leasing a 58,000 square foot manufacturing and distribution facility during the construction of a 100,000 square foot build-to-suit facility in the Cheyenne Business Parkway. The Wyoming relocation is being completed with support from Governor Matt Mead, the Wyoming Business Council and Cheyenne LEADS.
    Magpul is moving its corporate headquarters to Texas. Three North Central Texas sites are under final consideration, and the transition to the Texas headquarters will begin as soon as the facility is selected. The Texas relocation is being accomplished with support from Governor Rick Perry and the Texas Economic Development Corporation.
    “Magpul made the decision to relocate in March 2013 and has proceeded on an aggressive but deliberate path” says Doug Smith, Chief Operating Officer for Magpul Industries. “These dual moves will be carried out in a manner that ensures our operations and supply chain will not be interrupted and our loyal customers will not be affected.”
    The company began a nationwide search for a new base of operations after legislation was enacted in Colorado that dramatically limits the sale of firearms accessories – the core of Magpul’s business. Magpul plans on initially transitioning 92% of its current workforce outside of Colorado within 12-16 months and will maintain only limited operations in Colorado.
    "Moving operations to states that support our culture of individual liberties and personal responsibility is important,” says Richard Fitzpatrick, Chief Executive Officer for Magpul Industries. “This relocation will also improve business operations and logistics as we utilize the strengths of Texas and Wyoming in our expansion.”
    About MagpulFounded in 1999, Magpul was launched to manufacture an innovative device to aid in the manipulation of rifle magazines while reloading under stress. The company’s name comes from the original product called the Magpul. Over the last decade Magpul has continued to grow and develop into additional product areas using much the same mission and process with a focus on innovation, creativity, and efficiency.
    For more information, please contact Duane Liptak at dliptak@magpul.com, 303.828.3460 x170.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"Magpul plans on initially transitioning 92% of its current workforce outside of Colorado within 12-16 months and will maintain only limited operations in Colorado."

Call me when the move is complete. Right now, it's just talk....

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. HK_User

Hmm, I know the Texas Location.

4. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

No state tax in Texas is likely the reason for the corporate HQ locating there.

Interesting that Colorado legalized marijuana and banned specific mags.. They claim that Colorado will collect 67 million in taxes if true other states will see $$$$$ and legalize marijuana also.

5. HK_User

I suggest "The company is relocating manufacturing, distribution and shipping operations to Cheyenne, Wyoming." for now!

The location in Texas must have,

The latest Fiber Optics.
    Close to a Coporate Jet airfield.
    UPS sub station. This for later when manufacturing is added to the Texas site.
    Workforce for now and later.
    Good schools.
    Good University.
    Good power system.
    The site must be expandable and on a major highway with N,S and E,W connections.

YMMV.

6. HK_User

No state personal income tax.

The usual company taxes apply. (edit) With whatever the discounts are for moving, maybe 10 years with reduced taxes for the company.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Falcon15 likes this.
  7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

It is official, just not completed.

8. HK_User

I might ask, do you understand the expense, effort and just plane hell it takes to move an operating production plant?

I doubt they will move till spring as the production plant is being built and the other place is seeing major upgrades in the building and local infrastructure. All of this takes loads of time, money and effort. Just the layout prints and machine drops is a major bit of work.

YMMV

9. I completely understand, I did not mean anything in a negative way. Ive just been hearing about this big move for the past year (I work in the gun business) and I'm glad they finally found a place to settle!

10. HK_User

Glad to hear your are positive in this.

I have been part and parcel to a number of moves and upgrades in some major industrial pursuits. The time and money spent is a major investment and needs to be understood about how serious Magpul is in this venture.

BTW, I am not part of this event and I very well could be wrong on the location, not to worry I have been wrong before and what ever is happening in the site I will be willing to bet that a major firm is doing a whole lot of work and I will report on what happens. In fact I will take, for the record, some photos for later.

FWIW, I have observed a major Hub of fiber optics going in the ground as a 3 point system appears to be in the works.

Somone is spending a bundle of money with hundreds of men and machinery on 3 major roads that lead to other Fiber Optic Hub tie points.

11. Falcon15

HK, I might ask if you have considered that Magpul's upper level management/ownership has considered these things? Some people, like Tayler are expressing excitement about a company that produces such fine accessories is moving out of a state that has slowly become more and more liberal.

Are you privy to intimate details about Magpul's operations and requirements? I personally oversaw the move of a multi-billion dollar valve manufacturing company from Minnesota to Texas. It took just a matter of 3 months total for the actual move from beginning to end including transit time of the plant operational equipment and inventory. This includes breaking down the plant and reassembling it. If Magpul takes longer than that, they are doing it wrong.

Magpul has been looking at this move for months, and are likely more ready than even you think. I would not be surprised if the move was fully completed and the plant operational before spring, when demand for their product rises again as the weather warms and more folks head for the range. YMMV. Have a great day!

12. HK_User

Move time and set up should be in the 3 month range.

Actual Prep time, Negoations Time and Local Infrastucture time can be much longer.

13. Falcon15

Again, if they were not getting that done when contemplating the move, they were doing it wrong.

14. HK_User

So, what date was your move?

15. Falcon15

Started in October, completed in January. Off season, lowest production cycle.

16. HK_User

So help me here, do you suggest that a company can find a location or in this case two locations in two different states. Find and or build a set of buildings, apply for and get the needed permits, local contractors lined out, an increase in some local services etc in less than a year?

Just wondering?

17. HK_User

How involved were in in the selection and bulding site?

18. Falcon15

Chief, you best stop while you are ahead.

You would, depending on your budget, purchase or lease an existing facility. In this case, you would not have any real issues finding available space to fit your needs. Have you not seen how many companies have failed recently? Permitting in Texas for an office? Nearly nonexistent. As for Wisconsin, no worries, likely less than 30 days for permitting. We had everything needed for Texas lined out before the first truck arrived.

The site was already built except the secondary warehouse which was completed in just under 45 days.

You have any further questions?

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I don't think I care (nor should anyone else) how they came to the conclusion that hauling butt out of the state of lib was a good idea. That's the conclusion they came to that would serve the stockholders and customers best, regardless of how long the internal debate wore on or how much time was eaten up preparing for the move. Be happy it's getting done.

kellory and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7