Maine Gov. : Bring back the guillotine for drug traffickers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Jan 26, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Put them on Pay per view and backs some money off of them:)

Maine Gov. Paul LePage: Bring back the guillotine for drug traffickers
    "What I think we ought to do is bring the guillotine back," he told WMOV. "We could have public executions and have, you know, we could even have (guessing) which hole it falls in."

He said that he was "all in" on fighting drug criminals and said a recent proposal to establish a minimum sentence of four years for drug traffickers was too lenient.

Marck likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

wow - totally harsh....

Marck likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Could't happen to a Better Bunch of Thugs...

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

There we go with mandatory minimum sentencing. How about we let the judge and jury do their own jobs, and simply have the blade as one of the possible punishments AS THE CRIME WARRENT?

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a bit of a different and more controversial outlook on that subject. Since the fiat dollar is proportioned totally to support the Federal Reserve Bank and the IRS, I tend to believe that black-market economy is the only true wealth without indentured servitude..While I recognize the criminal enterprise as having socially deficient standards, I still see it is being an essential ingredient to the rest of us being able to function. I just can't accept the "Drugs are baaaad..." Mr. Mackie approach any more than I can accept any other controlling agenda foisted on us by our overseers. Yes, there are innocent lives corrupted by drugs or lost to the abuse but can we blame drugs any more than we can blame a rifle for the Sandy-Hill shootings? My mother was addicted to opiates and cost our family dearly and no doubt, scarred me and my siblings for life, yet I don't blame the folks that provided her with the dope, she made a bad choice and lost control of it and I wouldn't have been a damned bit happier if she had chosen Valium, booze, or the bible.Some folks, no matter how much we love them or need them, just can't handle it and will find a way to escape, no different than a gunman using a hammer, dead is dead. We could eleminate the illegal drug industry with the stroke of a pen and all it would cost is the ink and paper, but instead, we choose to create a prison industry around it and sacrifice more liberties and more money in the "War on Drugs", and I don't know if anyone has noticed, but...errrr...we're losing.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Prohibition didn't work with alcohol...why would it work any better with illicit drugs?? Prohibition just creates a black market that will be satisfied in any case....just that the demand is met by people who tend to have fingers and thumbs in other criminal enterprises as well.

One of the forces pushing for prohibition is the treatment of drug use as a moral vice rather than as a personal and a public health issue. Punitive treatment of a "moral vice" by incarcerating the drug user doesn't address the inherent public health aspects of the problem. It just warehouses the problem at considerable cost to the public purse.

The pity of it is that harm reduction and harm minimisation strategies don't sell quite as well politically in some places that have traditionally taken a more punitive approach to personal drug use.

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/safe-and-effective-drug-policy-look-dutch

Dutch Drug Policy: A Model for America?

In Australia the introduction of Safe Injection Facilities and needle exchange programs have been bitterly opposed from some quarters who see it as condoning illicit drug use.

www.ihra.net/files/2010/05/31/HIVTop50Documents11.pdf

Edit: I am not a wowser as far as personal drug use is concerned. Have never taken illicit drugs, and have no inclination to want to. I've seen the damage that it does to others, and to me, the cost is not worth an ephemeral high.

Through my life, I have chosen not to associate with substance abusers. It tends to isolate me from their associates, which suits me fine.

I have had opiates prescribed to me for post op pain management, and I have some sense of the euphoric effect that some folk crave, It still isn't worth losing the benefit of other things that I value more strongly in my life just to "chase the dragon".

Considering the costs of incarceration, and its negligible effect on reducing recidivism, it strikes me that money spent on diversion, harm minimisation, and community health would be more than offset by the savings made by not incarcerating users for personal use drug possession.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Byte and Seacowboys like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7