Maintenance - Preparedness

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Re: #20. Was just thinking about the 1903. Only two things might improve them. Lighter striker and a firing pin that was less prone to breakage. That said, it's a fine rifle as is.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Two questions, #1 How rough is it? and #2 How hot is it?.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Actually, it's in exceptional condition, and the now former owner has had it so long, and never used it, or even had use for it, he just wanted it gone and needed some money!

4. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Every firearm I buy is cleaned, inspected, and test fired. Not only to ensure that it will fire, but to also ensure that it will fire consistently and that mags work properly. Any firearms that doesn't work properly goes back to the place I bought it. Lucky for me, every gun and pawn shop in the area know me and does not give me any grief with a return as they know I'm not BS'ing with them.

I am a firm believer that you should have plenty of mags for every firearm (thanks to the 94 AWB) and that every mag should function properly. I may not shoot a full load in each mag, but I function test each by fully loading it and hand ejecting the rounds from the firearm.

I don't generally keep a full set of spare parts, mainly just a few commonly lost or expected to wear out parts, like AR extractors and the like. I do generally have at least two of any firearm I buy so I have a spare weapon instead of spare parts, then again I have no shortage of firearms.
    As far as maintenance supplies go-I always seem to be short decapping pins and Q-tips if I don't pay attention. I pretty much use CLP/Breakfree for all my cleaning and lubricating needs, along with grease for lubing slides and bolt lugs.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

No one really cared about hi cap magazines, mini14, ar15, AK until the government decided the peasants shouldn't have them.
    So the anti gunners can pat them selves on the back for making the AR15 the most popular long gun in the United States.

6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I read where Canadian Coleman collectors have started running what they call LSD in their lanterns. It's a mix of Low Sulfur Diesel and regular unleaded gasoline. This plan C kind of thinking is the same stuff we need to be considering with keeping our guns running. Being able to not only come up with a plan C, but practicing it to see if there are any unexpected side effects is the kind of stuff we have time for now. Once you have that sorted out, you start asking "What if?" and then start planning for that. What household products make good bullet lube? Can I fire that ammo in this revolver? Will this fired case make a decent bullet jacket for a larger caliber?

It's like life, a continuous experiment in survival.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. hot diggity
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. Dont
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  11. Ura-Ki
  12. Bishop