Make extra money by dumping industrial waste on your land

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by oil pan 4, Nov 12, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It' not as bad as it sounds.
    Where I work now they have something called slops. It's left over milk fat, milk, cheese fines, maybe some whey. And they pay a guy to take it.
    One day when something broke they had to divert normal money making product into the slops holding tank and the production manager was bitching about how they were having so spend almost $7,000 per day to get rid of it. The slops were filling up 5 to 10 times faster than normal when that happened.

The way they get rid of it is a truck driver comes and takes about 6,000 gallons at a time and he dumps it on a farmers field for fertilizer.
    I could put a 1,000 gallon new plastic septic tank on the back of my 10k trailer and haul away 1,000 gallons a day after work.
    I will have to talk to the boss Wednesday and see what it pays to see if it's even woth it.

3cyl, 3M-TA3, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

A topic I never thought I would see here. :D

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sounds like a no-brainer to me, especially if you got the land to do it. The stuff is environmental safe and if everything benefits from it, trees, fields, etc., then why not? Good luck! It is strange sometimes where and how one can make money and a lot of it. I know a multi-millionaire (think 3 digits millionaire) that made his first fortune producing and distributing really simple items for restaurants, cafes, eateries, etc., stuff like salt and sugar packets, those little sticks you stir coffee, plastic stirs for alcoholic drinks, even candy sticks, all the little things one sees in these places that is needed and used daily and must be replaced.

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yea,, I had a Pet Rock before they started selling them.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The EPA may have something to say about where and how often that type of product can be spread. It would be instructive to know if the hauler or the owner of the fields has the permits.

Drying and composting the solids is another alternative.

6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

That's what they do in to portopot the spread it out on fields they have a stranger that it has to go through for cell phone wallet condoms and what not

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

ghrit has it right, be careful about the epa and having permits. My extended family owns Mint farms and there are all sorts of regulations ( granted it's food crop) but they have to go through a whole process for any thing they put in the soil. And up here on my mountain, I have to be careful as well because I am at the head waters of a watershed.

chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Smell

Altoidfishfins and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not legally, they don't. The portas are pumped and the "fluids" delivered to a treatment plant. If the treatment meets the requirements, the plant effluent can be spread, depending on the crop. There was a septic tank pumping outfit in this area that was dumping the pumper tanks illegally. Busted. Not happy, nor was the farmer that allowed him to dump.

Tully Mars, chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

And I feel lucky because I know someone who lets me shovel out the back of his horse barn and carry off the manure.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's not going smell as bad as cow, chicken or pig based fertilizer.
    I know where they dump this stuff, 6,000 gallons at a time and I don't notice any smell.
    I would be dumping 1,000 gallons at a time.

The only prohibited fertilizer for food crop I know of is human waste, such as septic tank pump out. The law I remember reading is you have to wait at least 1 full year before you can plant a food crop for human consumption after applying human based fertilizer. That's planting, not harvesting.

I might have to get a permit from the state. As far as I can tell the state only really cares about human waste and feed lot levels of animal poo.

All the waste water generated by the plant here goes through aerobic digestion, aerobic digestion, settling and then is used as land application water delivered by pivots.

Spreading human waste on a farmers field when you tell them it's something else sounds like a good way to die.

Remember the grass is always greener over the septic tanks leaching field.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Hmm sounds like Pig feed to me....

3cyl likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The stuff is pretty nasty I don't even know if pigs would eat it.

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The 1050 gallon tank at Lowes is $1100.
    3 of those 330 gallon non food grade poly totes would cost less than $100.
    Then I still have to upgrade my trailer to 5,400lb brake axles and springs. I built it as a 10k trailer but had 3,500 brake axles on hand and I was broke at the time so thats what I used.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They make 300,000lb of slops per week. It costs just under $1,000 to get rid of it.

I can make about $30 per trip with my little 10k trailer.
    Too bad I only built a 10k trailer.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7