Make Your Own Tooth powder (and Toothpaste)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Brokor, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Dental Care 101 (Self Reliance Method)

DSC00012.JPG

How To Make Your Own Tooth Powder:
    Use all dry ingredients. Natural and edible, so if you swallow some, no need to worry. This will ensure long, stable shelf life, and with proper storage, can be stored in perpetuity. I like to use Ziploc containers and bags. Place your dry ingredients in a large container for mixing. Mix carefully, the dry ingredients will create dust if disturbed, making breathing difficult. I use mostly baking soda and starch in my recipe, and buy them in bulk quantities.

Ingredients:
    Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
    Potato starch (you could use corn starch if you can avoid GMO)
    Calcium carbonate (limestone) *Use very small amount because it is abrasive*
    Flavoring (I use organic peppermint leaf powder)
    DSC00008.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00011.JPG DSC00010.JPG

Recipe:
    I do not have an exact recipe. I mix mostly baking soda and potato starch (about 7/8ths) to a very small portion of limestone powder and then add peppermint powder to desired taste. You do not need much limestone or peppermint flavoring. Some folks skip the use of the limestone, maybe go with a fine salt instead. I think baking soda is salty enough, and the purpose of the limestone is to add a bit of polishing/abrasive quality to the mix. I have used it with zero limestone powder and actually prefer none added at all. Also, you may go with any flavoring you wish, as this peppermint is tinted green and very strong. Perhaps a natural mint powder will suffice. I wanted mine to be tinted green so it is not confused with any other powder, and also to keep the flavor quality at a high level. You could go with essential oils, but you will be adding a wet ingredient to the mix, and I do not know the shelf life of an oil flavored powder, but it isn't as long as this dry method I use.

DSC00015.JPG For hiking and the bug out bag, I store this powder in small 4-mil ziploc bags.

DSC00014.JPG Storing inside resealable plastic containers for daily use is a good idea.

How To Make Your Own Toothpaste:
    Use the same recipe as above, but incorporate coconut oil until the mixture is at the right consistency for you. I also like to add some Stevia to sweeten it a bit, but this is optional.

DSC00016.JPG

I go with a two parts coconut oil by dry mass to one part powder mix, but mostly I just estimate. Then, I drop in some Stevia and the toothpaste is ready. I can mix as much as I need for a few weeks at a time, keeping it fresh and at the ready. For larger families, this method would greatly reduce costs, too.

DSC00017.JPG DSC00018.JPG You can mix it a little better than I did here, just briefly. And again, your dry powder flavoring will determine the color, if the green turns you off, try mint or another flavor.

DEODORANT

You can also make your own deodorant with a similar recipe

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    3M-TA3, chelloveck, T. Riley and 6 others like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[bateye]I suppose you could open the end of an old toothpaste tube, spoon feed the home made past into it and then heat seal the bottom of the tube. This would be perfect for people who like to squeeze from the middle.

3. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

uploadfromtaptalk1409565146090.

Add some neem powder or swish for several minutes with neem oil from Ayurveda (Ayurvedic) Products - Buy Organic Herbs Online | Banyan Botanicals. It is very good for tooth and gum help.

Banyan Botanicals

Organic Neem Oil
    4 fl oz (118 ml)

Cooling and soothing effect to calm pitta
    Cleanses and pacifies excess heat and irritation
    Promotes healthy skin
    Supports natural immune function of skin against unwanted microbes

Neem Oil is the most cooling of all Ayurvedic oils and brings the powerful pitta soothing qualities of organic neem to a warm, lubricating base of organic sesame oil. With the cleansing and immune supportive properties of neem leaves cooked directly into this pacifying herbalized oil, neem oil is the best choice for pitta- related skin irritations (imbalanced pitta often manifests as heat in the skin). Neem's intense nature alleviates the excess hot and oily qualities of too much pitta, allowing the skin to replenish and rejuvenate. The oil can be used on the face as well as any areas on the body where excess heat is showing itself through the skin.

Ingredients:
    Sesame oil**, Neem leaf (Azadirachta indica)**.

**Certified organic

Banyan oils are packaged in recyclable BPA-free plastic containers.

Also available in 12 fl oz 36 fl oz 128 fl oz
    Buy Neem Oil Online - Organic Neem Oil for Sale|Banyan Botanicals

Neem, org (1/2 lb)

Neem, org (1/2 lb)

Item Number: 7362

Unit Price: $10.95 (In Stock)
    USDA Organic

Certified Organic
    Neem powder
    (Azadirachta indica)

Detoxification for pitta and kapha*

Maintains healthy skin*
    Detoxifies the liver and blood*
    Removes excess pitta and kapha from the system*

Ayurvedic Energetics:

Rasa (taste): bitter
    Virya (action): cooling
    Vipaka (post-digestive effect): pungent
    Doshas (constitutions): Balancing for pitta and kapha, aggravates vata in excess

Commentary:
    Neem is widely used in Ayurveda because of its effectiveness in dealing with nearly all types of pitta and kapha imbalances. Bitter and very cooling, it is usually combined with other herbs to offset its vata-aggravating qualities. Neem has traditionally been used to purify the blood, cleanse the liver and support the immune system. It is also commonly used to support healthy skin and to maintain healthy blood glucose levels.*

For a 1 lb bag click here
    For five lbs or more in bulk click here

Herbal tablets that contain Neem include: Blood Cleanse, Mahasudarshan, Neem, Para Cleanse, and Sweet Ease

Other products that contain Neem include: Kapha Massage Oil, Mahanarayan Oil, Neem Oil, Neem Soap, and Soothing Skin Balm

This product is organically grown and processed in accordance with the USDA's National Organic Program (NOP).
    Buy Neem Powder Online - Neem Leaf Powder for Sale|Banyan Botanicals

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  4. AmericanRedoubt1776

Neem is the most important dental health herb in the Indo-Tibetan system of herbal medicine. I have successfully used neem oil swish-gargle and tongue scraper for 20 years.

Then add this to your hygiene repertoire:

Stainless Steel Tongue Cleaner

Stainless Steel Tongue Cleaner

Item Number: 5211

Be the first to review this item
    Unit Price: $7.95 (In Stock)
    Quantity:

Benefits of tongue cleaning:

Reduces the toxins and bacteria on the tongue that cause bad breath
    Enhances the sense of taste
    Improves digestion
    Gently stimulates the internal organs
    Helps eliminate unattractive coating on the tongue

Commentary:
    According to Ayurveda, cleaning the tongue is an important part of the daily oral hygiene routine, along with regular brushing and flossing of the teeth. Gently scraping the tongue with a tongue cleaner can effectively reduce the bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath. Our specially designed tongue cleaner is made in the U.S.A. with premium quality stainless steel.

Notes:
    Good for Vata, Pitta and Kapha

How to Clean Your Tongue with a Stainless Steel Tongue Cleaner

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  5. AmericanRedoubt1776

By the way, neem oil and neem powder are very bitter like a cup of espresso. But sweet flavor is not beneficial for teeth-gums only for the bacteria-plaque.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Great post @Brokor I have been researching making my own toothpaste. The ones I found have clay in them also. But the basic ingredients are there with omitting or adding other items/flavorings. This is one of the recipes from the site I linked below.
    With Brokor's recipe and the 7 different ones linked below, anyone should be able to find a recipe that you and your family would like using.
    How to Make Toothpaste: 7 Natural Toothpaste Recipes

chelloveck, Brokor and kellory like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I made this one today-
    I used cloves instead of peppermint. The finished product really salty and very different from what we get from the store. I chose clove because allegedly it helps protect against cavities and is used in many dental offices.

004.JPG

Brokor and NotSoSneaky like this.
  8. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Refillable squeeze tubes.
    [​IMG]

I used to used these back in the day when I did a lot of backpacking.
    They work pretty good too.

chelloveck, Ganado, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I just finished a new batch with mint leaves I received recently. Tested and approved. :)

DSC00033.JPG
    I ground the mint leaves in my mortar and pestle, and sweetened with raw cane sugar, not refined sugar. These little tins work great for my camping kit/bugout bags. I make a batch without sugar as well. I still am not sure which I like the most.

3/4 cup baking soda
    3 Tbsp potato starch
    1/2 cup mint tea leaves, dried and un-crushed. When crushed into powder, will be less.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

and because most people's tooth powder tastes like .....(insert bad word) I am sharing my good tasting recipe for improving your enamel

How to Use Remineralizing Tooth Powder
    Wet you toothbrush and dip in the powder. Brush until teeth are clean and rinse with cool water. Can be used daily or multiple times a day and is safe for adults and kids.

Magical Tooth Powder to Reverse Cavities Naturally
    • 5 Tbs calcium powder (you can skip this if you don't want to buy the dolomite powder)
    • 4 Tbs cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil
    • 3 Tbs xylitol (I use stevia)
    • 2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp bentonite clay
    • 1/2 tsp calcium/magnesium powder
    • 20 drops of trace minerals
    *Optional: 20 drops of GRAS certified essential oil, Protective blend, Cinnamon, Peppermint, Clove, Melaleuca or Spearmint.

BENONITE CLAY
    Amazon.com: All Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay Powder - "Living Clay®" (455 Grams - 16 Oz): Health & Personal Care

Coconut Oil
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPZPYLS/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Trace Minerals (liquid)
    Amazon.com: Trace Pure Ocean Minerals by Activation Products, Ionic Sea Minerals, Restore Balance and Energy, Metabolic Function, 60 Day Money Back Guarantee, 8 oz: Health & Personal Care

Calcium Magnisium powder
    Amazon.com: NOW Foods Cal-Mag Citrate, 8 Ounces: Health & Personal Care

I get my essential oils and fresh spices from here
    Quality Bulk Botanicals at wholesale prices

This is what it looks like when finished. It can be a little gritty unless you pre mix all the dry items 1st and grind them fine in a coffee grinder. I like mine gritty but if you don't just be warned.
    [​IMG]

kellory, Brokor and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Ganado kindly sent me some of her homemade toothpaste. It tastes great. I opted not to add the trace minerals. I keep it dry and use it that way. Mine has cloves in it and is kind of gritty but it really does a great job on my teeth.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. UncleMorgan
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Ganado
  9. Illini Warrior
  10. oldman11
  11. Big Ron