Recipe Makin Bacon

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ditch witch, Sep 19, 2014.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I was feeling better this week and I'm starting to get some vision back in my left eye, so I figured I'd exercise it a bit by making a slab of bacon. I started curing on Monday and took out and rinsed yesterday. I used a boneless pork loin this time, about 3 lbs and the cure recipe from Michael Symon. Today was smoking day, about 4 hours total to 155 F, then let it cool an sliced. Let's see if I can post a pic or 2. Smoked: [​IMG]
    Sliced: [​IMG]

And separated into long slices and lardon slices: [​IMG]

I got a total of 45 oz of bacon.......it has more of a ham texture, but it's outstanding!
    I figured if I could to this, I could handle going back to work tomorrow. Hooray!/Boo LOLOL

Kajun

Ganado, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@TXKajun this looks more like a Canadian bacon. How salty is it? I have found that the salt taste on regular bacon is too over powering lately and Grinder suggested Canadian bacon may be less salty tasting.

Nice looking bacon TXKajun

3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Motomom, the Michael Symon recipe is not very salty. Yes it definitely has more of a Canadian bacon texture due to my using the boneless pork loin instead of pork belly. I made up some Canadian bacon using the recipe I think I got from this site which I also smoked.....most Canadian bacon is not smoked. Reasonable pork belly is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, but I picked up several boneless pork loins a while back for 77 cents a pound and wanted to see how it would work. No, not true bacon look or texture, but a most acceptable substitute at a great price.

Kajun

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dinner at kajuns!

5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have been thinking of trying this.. Question tho, Can it be canned? And I need a smoker..

1. jefferson
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  4. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  5. Hillbilly549
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. DKR