Making a Piston AR

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fortunateson, Feb 12, 2010.

1. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

beats the cost of the ACR..

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I had a 556 for about a year. It was accurate. I had trouble out of the adjustable gas system my first time out, but after I figured it out, it wasn't a problem. Mine was the optics ready version. I mounted a mini-ACOG on it. It was a really good configuration.

The things I didn't like:
    Weight..... it weighed what seemed like quite a bit more than an AR.
    Barrel....... not chrome lined. It turns out, none of the Swiss military barrels are chrome lined. I thought the whole world was past the debate about whether a chrome lined barrel was worth it. I guess the Swiss haven't figured it out yet.

If I was to get another one.... I would get the classic. The AR buttstock that was on mine was really dumb. The classic folding stock is more useful to me.

3. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

For the price of what some people are asking for AK's I built my AR and have about 500 rds without cleaning. Shooting wolf I am going to try just the oil technique and see how long she goes before she starts to jam up etc. I was an AK follower but so far I am liking my AR way better...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Slightly off topic, but polymer Wolf 55 grain runs faultlessly in mine, never had any lacquered rounds to try. Had over 1000 rounds thru it before figuring out ARs run better wet. Knock the big pieces out of the mags, and I don't see an end. So far, just about 500 rounds without a patch down the barrel, or bolt dis-assembly.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7