Making a Rubber Tyre Chicken Cage

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by chelloveck, Feb 11, 2021.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A cheap way of making a small chicken cage / tractor. Be careful to wear appropriate PPE to protect eyesight, fingers and toes.

Use a solid gauge metal mesh, instead of plastic...predators will rip through plastic mesh easily. (the example cage seems to be fabricated with plastic coated metal wire mesh.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Gotta be careful keeping birds on wire like that. A lot of the cheap hardware cloth I see used for flooring is rough and can scratch and cut their feet, leading to bumblefoot. If going that route, spend the money to get PVC coated wire for the flooring or at least spray it with a few coats of rubberized paint to smooth it out.

Sunnyvibes, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  3. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

Can it be used for rubber chickens?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. I think it would work better for rubber ducks.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Looks like the metal one I would use to bring in the coyotes.
    I hear the song Hammer Time playing in the background?

6. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

have to be very careful with tires!!! how you use em is very important... the first one shown looks fairly ok set up like it is...

the 2nd one looks like trouble... laying tires on their side like that... not good..

they hold water... often for a long time... the water attracts mosquitoes... eggs get laid... n your in for it!!!

one of my neighbors collected a bunch... said he wished he had more... I told him about the mosquito issue...

ignored me... water collected in the tires... and we ALL had MANY MANY mosquitoes that year...

he got rid of the tires not long after...

Sunnyvibes, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Your point is well taken @OldDude49. I believe that an electric drill and an appropriate sized drill bit could create drainage holes that would obviate that problem.

Having looked at the video clip in its entirety, It would appear that the risk of waterlogged tyres is minimal...he has cut the bottoms off the framework tyres at both ends, and has split the tyre that he has used as a door in half around its circumference. It should be free draining in the event that it rains. otherwise, drainage holes should fix that issue.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7