Making Broadhead Arrowheads From Target Arrows and Sheet Metal

Discussion in 'Blades' started by chelloveck, Dec 14, 2015.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Because of the Kingfish Challenge, that's why! No metal heads when your buddy leaves you in the wilderness, and you're hungry. Haha.
    Probly gona try to make some glass heads soon. Just for the doing, maybe try and sell some. I understand that I can make everything I should need from nails and a stout section of limb. Didn't feel like getting into it, but all the earful of archery both online and off is getting me into a doing mood. Not exactly a lot of rocks in these parts...but I do have a bag we brought back to sell...You guys are bad for my spare time. Haha.
    Thinking I may put some of those arrows up for sale on the blog. I'm actually surprisingly impressed by my progress with them overall. I think from two feathers I can fletch two arrows if I am careful with it.

Not that I like to admit it, but my first bow was a compound. Now, the first bow I shot was a flatbow, sycamore if memory serves, in the 45lb range. I managed about 2/3 draw on it when I was 11 or 12, and got hooked. I got a little 25ish pounder for Christmas, camo compound made by God knows who. It was another 11 years before I found out they make anything other than arrows to go with them.
    Now back then, I was a rifleman. Never took to a shotgun, thought pistols were silly, but bows sucked me in bad. Never went hog wild, or had some kind of "Injun Awakening" experience (that came later. ha). But they stuck with me. Sometime around my 14th birthday, I dumped all of my coins on a 45lb PSE Impala takedown recurve, because would could not find anyone in this part of the world who was making wood bows. Everything I know about making archery equipment or bows comes from those two bows. Before it broke, I used to pace back to 60 yards, and shoot a busted punching bag hanging from the lean to roof, between both of our riding mowers. Haha.

Learned to hate carbon. Sure they might be fast, but if I wanted to spend $10+ dollars on a single shot, I'd of bought a cannon. Started having problems with the heads not doing what I wanted, so started working that angle. Couldn't use a quiver, had to find a way around that. The list goes on, and is largely centered around being a self taught broke person.

Actually, this is a good place to put this tidbit. I won;t say to do this with carbons, but you can brake/saw off a broken aluminum shaft, and make an insert to replace the tip/nock portion that broke. Exactly the same as you build a cane or bamboo arrow. Also works if you want to use a point that would not fit on the shaft you have.

kellory and chelloveck like this.
  2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My latest broad heads are resharpenable. The Montec is a solid one piece three blade head that you sharpen over and over again. I am holding these in reserve for the day my expandables are all toast. I am stacked so dee however in .22 long rifle rounds Ill never need to make an arrowhead of any type.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from the web....

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I like very much.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Never say never or 'ol Murph will surely show up;)
    I understand what you're getting at and I do agree, but a bow or crossbow is still quieter than the average suppressed .22.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

And what, exactly, are you planning to accomplish with only one arrowhead?

7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I can say never , I wont be alive long enough to ever run out of .22 long rifle. My son might but most likely my grandson will still have a couple thousand rounds when he gets to be my age which is 58. It is stored dry and cool and airtight and will not be taken by any agency or given away OR turned in for any reason ever. It cant be burned or gotten wet, flooded or stolen. I stacked it deep , I stacked it right and I stacked it in a place where it will not be found. Only three people know where it is My wife my son and myself. As for arrowheads made out of glass ? have at it . Better to use steel bar stock or plate. file and hack saw for shaping. If the world goes to crap there will be metal everywhere for fabricating blades and arrow heads. The stone age is over. No arrow shafts are more accurate then modern carbon or aluminum. Period. You can carve sticks if you want they wont match up. Again cane is your best bet for wild material for building arrows. You can get some pretty straight shafts with minimal work. I am still waiting to see someone, anyone post a kill shot on a deer with field expedient bow and arrow. built in the time time frame you would have if dropped into a forest with a knife and some cordage, fire starter and water straw filter.. . Feed yourself before you starve. In my area "Michigan" the forests are huge but not filled with real good materials . There is no cane and getting close enough to a turkey to get its feathers requires a weapon that is accurate. I have never seen a turkey feather just laying around out in the woods. Even the geese here on my lake don't leave many feathers around. You have to make a kill to them. Nope , No one has done this on you tube except for a handful of true traditional archers like Scott Moore. These are not expedient bows but self bows built by hand over many months while eating food and using modern tools of the times. That little plate looks to be cut out of sheet metal with a water jet. Interesting but the fish hooks would be terrible. I get Diving lips cut out that way and the edges of the cuts are sharp. Try tying fishing line to one of those hooks , big fail there. Hooks need to be smooth and without burrs at the line tie. Hooks are also tempered as to not bend easy. In my opinion it would be better to just have a card like that with 6 metal broadheads. Just sharpen and use. A small fishing pack in a 35 mm film canister is better suited for fish hooks.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Got some of those kits to try out...they are a lot thinner than I would like, but the kit on the whole shows some promise. Honestly, would carry it for the sawblade if nothing else, though the fishing/snaring stuff is not too bad. .

chelloveck likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Aspiring_Caveman
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Bishop
    Thread

Swiss arrow