Making herbs into medicine

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by ozarkgoatman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

With garlic, you will notice the intact bulb/cloves do not smell much like garlic.

Well when you crush it then you get the smell. This is due to a reaction that occurs instantaneously. This reaction creates the active ingredient that gives the healthy benefits. However it is very unstable , only lasts a few hours. One of the precursor compounds is an enzyme thus when temp is above 120 F it denatures this enzyme and no reaction to make the good stuff.

2. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

FDA Declares Form of Vitamin B6 a Drug

The FDA has effectively banned a naturally-occurring form of vitamin B6 called pyridoxamine by declaring it to be a drug, reports the American Association for Health Freedom. Responding to a petition filed by a drug company, the FDA declared pyridoxamine to be "a new drug."

Now, any nutritional supplements containing pyridoxamine will be considered adulterated and illegal by the FDA, which may raid vitamin companies and seize such products. See the history of FDA raids on vitamin companies here: Tyranny in the USA: The true history of FDA raids on healers, vitamin shops and supplement companies - NaturalNews.com

Pyridoxamine occurs naturally in fish, chicken and other foods, putting the FDA in the strange position of banning a substance from dietary supplements even though it is already present in the food supply.

The FDA's war on Mother Nature
    It's not the first time the FDA has declared a natural molecule to be a "drug" while attacking nutritional supplements that contain the same molecule. A similar story unfolded with red yeast rice and the lovastatin molecules it contains that lower high cholesterol. The drug companies engaged in biopiracy, ripping off the molecule from red yeast rice to make their now-famous "statin drugs." Once the statin drugs were patented, Big Pharma and the FDA went after red yeast rice, claiming the supplement was "adulterated with pharmaceuticals."

It wasn't really adulterated, of course. It just contained a natural statin-drug-like molecule that the drug companies copied and patented.

It would be like Big Pharma patenting vitamin C, then the FDA claiming that all oranges and lemons were adulterated with drugs because they naturally contain their own vitamin C.

This is the insanity of the FDA as it operates today. You can read more about the FDA on our channel webiste www.FDAreform.org which is updated every few days.

So will this ruling on pyridoxamine affect nutritional supplements? Yes, any supplements containing this form of vitamin B6 can now be declared "adulterated" by the FDA. Manufacturers of such supplements can be arrested and shut down for engaging in "illegal drug trafficking." Such is the nature of the FDA's agenda to criminalize nutritional supplement companies and limit consumers' access to Mother Nature's remedies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  3. OGM give me a list of different herbs you use. I have herb plants that I use like Oragano, Basil, Feverfew, Camamil, Saint Johns Wort, Mint, peppermint, Speariment, Sage, Thyme, Garlic, Marigold, Bee Balm and Stivia.

4. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I'm sorry I have not responded sooner but regertably I am a truck driver now and not at home near as much as I wish I were. Others have asked me simular quistions, I'll tell you the same as them. IMHO it is much smarter to learn to use the herbs that grow wild in your area. If you do that, then you could be ran off your land where you are growing your herbs and still have a pharmacy at your fingure tips.

One day I will be climbing out of that truck for the last time and I will try to resume this thread.

OGM

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This is the link for the salve that was made during Viking era aka anglo saxon. Motomom34 posted the link of the announcement where they tested this recipe that effectively killed Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

The link below shows an pic of the actual recipe.. the preparation instructions were very specific.
    This ancient 'remedy' actually kills MRSA - Futurity

pearlselby, kellory and tulianr like this.
  6. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I use everclear for fresh herbs and vodka for dry herbs.

Ganado likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Interesting why? I've used them interchangeably as they are both neutral.
    But I can stand vodka better if I decide the experiment went wrong =)

So I'm curious about your thinking on this and I love learning new things

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

9. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

HI,
    I read it when I was researching tinctures. I thought It was from my Penelope Ony book, but, I just looked and did not find it.
    I will try to find my source. Cathy

Ganado likes this.
  10. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

http://www.herbalprepper.com/skills-how-to-make-a-tincture/
    I found this source.

To simplify the first two considerations:
    • When using fresh plant material, use grain alcohol (95% alcohol, or the highest percentage vodka you can find)
    • When using dried material, use vodka (100 proof, which is 50% alcohol, will be appropriate for most dried herbs)
    Cathy

Ganado likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Awesome! Ty for that

pearlselby likes this.
  12. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

You are welcome, Ganado!

Ganado likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Vodka is used for making extract also.

pearlselby and Ganado like this.
  14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I have not made any extracts yet. I will look into that. Thank you Motomom34!

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I have used red clover, elderberry, saw palmetto, and stevia. The elderberry is good for when you are beginning to get a cold. The saw palmetto is for prostate health. Stevia is good as a sugar replacement for diabetics. 3-4 tsps. of dry stevia replace 1 cup of refined sugar. Red Clover is used for womens health. PMS and hot flashes. I bought my dried herbs from frontiercoop.com. For fresh herbs I used 190 proof. For dry herbs 100 proof vodka.

Ganado likes this.
  16. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I've got some poppies that'll make a nice tincture when combined with vodka. ;)

pearlselby and Ganado like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Druggy ;)

18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I seem to remember a text on extracting oil's from plant's for perfumes from the late 1800's or early 1900's.. will see if I can find it again..

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Other than distilling? That would be awesome

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Extracting Carboloyde Oils from Plants is essentially the same technology as making Tinctures from Plants.... You crush the plants into a mush, and then use a solvent to extract the Oils with the solvent. Ethyl Alcohol, is the usual solvent to use, as it is NOT Toxic in medicinal quantities, and most Carboloydes and Alkaloids are very soluble in Ethyl Alcohol....

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. jefferson
  15. fl4848
  16. hot diggity
  17. HK_User
  18. Ganado
  19. Ganado
  20. Ganado