Making herbs into medicine

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by ozarkgoatman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

He was talking perfumes which I think is very different from tintures

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

The basic process is the same.. Extraction of oil's from plant matterial then is further formulated into med's or something that smell's pretty...:)
    I have to look up how to find out about copie right's.. After our last bought on thievery or not.. Have to show respect for those that take the time to produce...

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  3. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Medicinal Pickled Garlic | Three Leaf Farm

I found this one day. I hope it works.

kellory, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Sounds great!

5. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

How and Why Vitamin B6 Became a Prescription Drug

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wow. Ow am I going to have to get a prescription for b6 shots?

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I know this doesn't go with the topic but I posted re: extracts earlier in this thread so here are some ideas.
    Homemade Extracts | Spoon Fork Bacon
    Mint Extract Recipe | The Prairie Homestead
    BTW- I had always seen extract with vodka only but the first link uses brandy. I don't drink so unsure if brandy would be better then vodka. I have mint ready for picking so I am going to make some mint extract.

pearlselby likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is the Ethanol in the Liquor, that is the solvent that the alkaloids dissolve into. It really doesn't matter much, what else is in the liquor. except they might be some rare chemical interactions, that may occur, with lower Percentage, or Proof, Liquors..... AlaskaChick always uses EverClear for such extractions, because of the 195 Proof (93% Ethanol) with only 3% water. This is how I was schooled in College, to do such extractions, only we would be using NSF Reagent Ethyl Alcohol, 99.99% Pure Stuff..... Makes a Heck of a Screwdriver, when mixed 50/50 with Orange Juice... Another thing, I learned in college....

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Found this looking for Tinctures.. Guide to Making Tinctures
    it talks to which percent/proof solvent to use for which herbs.

Dit Da Jow is an ancient Chinese Martial Arts Analgesic. I use it for bruises, an I get plenty. Found this recipe and they are hard to find as most are family kept secrets.. Dit Da Jow Recipe | Wellness Mama

Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon of dried Arnica flowers.
    • 1 tablespoon dried Plantain Leaf.
    • 1 tablespoon dried Comfrey Leaf.
    • 1 tablespoon Frankincense Powder
    • 1 tablespoon dried Myrrh powder
    • 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds
    • 1 teaspoon dried Angelica Root
    • 1 teaspoon dried calendula flowers.
    • 1 teaspoon dried Dandelion Root.
    • 1 teaspoon dried Horsetail
    • 1 teaspoon dried Nettle Leaf.
    • 1 teaspoon cloves powder
    • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
    Instructions
    1. Place all of the herbs in a glass mason jar (at least 16 ounces).
    2. Pour boiling water to just dampen all of the herbs. (This step is optional but helps to draw out the beneficial properties of the herbs)
    3. Fill the rest of the jar (or the entire jar if not using hot water too) with alcohol (drinkable, at least 80 proof) and stir with a clean stainless steel spoon.
    4. Put the lid on the jar. Store the jar in a cool/dry place, shaking daily, for at least three weeks and up to six months. (I usually leave herbs for six weeks)
    5. Strain through cheesecloth and compost the herbs. Store the tincture in colored dropper bottles or clean glass jars.
    6. Use on skin as needed to help with bruises, sore muscles and pain. Do not use on cut or broken skin.

Ganado likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks @Dunerunner I will have to try this i have everything except horsetail and Myrhh powder

12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Ganado likes this.
  13. Hermitscribe

Hermitscribe Monkey

Cannabis!! Granted that it's federally illegal to grow, but would it really matter in a worse-case scenario? I've put a torx bit through my thumb while repairing the chicken coop...used cannabis oil on the entry and exit wound - (Basic vegetable oil extraction that's been outlined above - soak plant in solvent, strain, evaporate off the solvent, collect oil.)
    I had no infection and healed quickly. We've tried it on so many different wounds. It heals skin lacerations and eruptions faster than anything I've ever tried. We mix it with coconut oil or alcohol for a topical ointment. When I threw my back out, it worked great as muscle relaxant. We've used it topically for inflammation things (arthritis, bursitis, etc.) My wife broke her ankle and rubbed in cannabis oil mixed with capsaicin from some peppers. It seemed to help more than a little - Just a disclaimer, this is just speaking from our own experiences and experiments on our specific plants. (...expectations will vary...)

From what I've discovered since Coloradoans got together to say we can grow cannabis, it's an extremely potent herb to have in the medicine cabinet for so many, many things. Cannabis seeds should be essential in any long-term BOB. (It's also great for cordage!)

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. jefferson
  15. fl4848
  16. hot diggity
  17. HK_User
  18. Ganado
  19. Ganado
  20. Ganado