Making Pan Grilled Vegetables

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am trying to perfect pan grilled veggies. Last night was my first attempt and it was not perfect. Any experts or advice on how to grill them like the restaurants do would be appreciated.

What I did:

Cut up zucchini, yellow squash, red paper, onion
    Put in a Ziploc bag poured in some olive oil, seasoned with basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
    Shook it up then.
    In a pan added some olive oil and chopped garlic.
    Once the oil was hot, I dumped in the veggies.
    Covered and let cook. Only stirring every few minutes, letting things burn was easy.

IMG_0151.

Issues:

the squash was limp, the veggies were watery. Seasoning was bland (maybe not enough?)

Maybe the onions added too much moisture?

Either oil in pan or coated veggies- there seems to be many differing opinions on this. All sources from cookbooks or internet

We want to try in foil on the grill but not sure of cooking time. Cooking times differ depending on what recipe you read.

What do our monkeys do? Hoping some Paleo, Primal, Keto and good cooks chime in.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Try Blanching or steaming first, and do one type of veggy at a time! Stir constantly, and pull off the heat when done!
    We do a lot of zucchini fried with Parmazan cheese, super tasty, but easy to over do!

chelloveck, UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you coat the veggies or put the oil in the pan? I wanted to use bacon grease but all recipes said I needed hot cooking oil.

chelloveck, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Are you trying to get that charred effect? Bbq Grill works better.. over charcol & needs to be hot. Dont see any reason Bacon grease wouldent work. If yout it hot enough you might even get flame grilled :D But bacon flavour can only make it better.

Other option would be to do all your oiling/seasoning & then lay out on a baking sheet & cook under a grill, checking an turning as needed.

5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Steaming does work great

Motomom34, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Bacon makes it better.

Motomom34, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Oven roasting in oil/butter with bacon and garlic with almond slivers and parm cheese is awesome!

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and UncleMorgan like this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I do my mixed vegies often, seasoned, and tossed with a bit of olive oil, on a sheet pan in oven at 375F for about 45 minutes. my favorites this way include one or many of the following, potatoes, onions, carrots, seeded bell pepper in 12 to 16 pieces, celery, squash in thick slices 1/2 - 3/4", zucchini ditto, broccolli, caulliflower.

9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Never really had any luck with oven or grilling veggies. Years ago had a small Italian place near here, did not do pizza, but they had a all you can eat bar at noon on work days. Always went in with the thought of eating chicken,etc, the "high value" food, they had a lot of veggies that were in a really good flavored spice, crisp on outside and perfect on inside, often passed on chicken for marina sauce and pasta, grilled veggies, a couple spiced meat ball and sauce dishes. While we now have a TGIF and Olive Garden, they got old and their place closed. I really love country style Italian food, and the Olive Garden food is to rich and salty for me. I never did find out if they steamed it or what, but the potatoes and the squash were both cooked perfect and I have never been able to do that. Looking forward to being enlightened.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and UncleMorgan like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Did a quick search for ya, and was pleased with this.
    Start at Yahoo search - type in "sheet pan recipes" - on the page that pops up, I noticed, "30 sheet pan recipes to make every night in April. - Clicked on that. Several of the recipes were LOADED with a variety of veggies plus a protein. Many of the recipes look to be very good to me.

11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Onions take longer to cook than zukes, so start them first. Add the others when the onion is about half done.

Cook the veggies at high heat, stirring constantly. After they start lookin' a little grilled, reduce the heat.

If you steam any of the veggies, save the veggie liquor.

Season with lottsa black and red pepper. Plus the garlic.

Cubed zukes stir-fry better than disks. More robust.

Mushroom slices would go well with this, along with a dash of soy sauce and some butter. In fact, the more different veggies the better.

When the zukes are done, it's all done. About 4 mins, usually, from start to finish.

The onions are perfect when there is still just a faint hint of crunch and a tiny echo of the flavor of raw onion.

Over-cooked, almost every vegetable loses impact. Too much oil is also bad. For a skillet full, I use about 2 Tblsp of bacon grease, plus a few pats of butter because it brings the mushroom flavor alive.

(Sliced mushrooms, BTW, cooked in butter with just a splash or two of soy sauce, is gonzo gourmet.)

If there are any leftovers, make up a rich chicken broth with lottsa meat, add them and the veggie liquor (if any), bring it all to a fast simmer, then stir in a beaten egg.

Prest-o Soup-o! Add a little vinegar for Hot & Sour.

(I am, literally, enjoying hot Soup-o even as I write--the sweet peas that fell in this time were a nice touch.)

chelloveck, Ganado, duane and 2 others like this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'll ask the chef when I get home again. She does lots of veggies on the grill and in a frying pan.

chelloveck, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes, the charred effect done in a pan. I have done the brussel sprouts in bacon grease but those are supposed to be a bit oiled. But grilled veggies is what we want. I want to start experimenting with different things like broccoli but that always takes longer to cook then squash or onions.

chelloveck, Ura-Ki and SB21 like this.
  14. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Don't put a lid on it holds in water and a little propane torch in the kitchen helps out a lot don't use to much oil.

15. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

You can also do vegetables in a waffle iron that comes out awsawes.

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We do oven baked asparagus in bacon leavings with a hand full of bacon chunks, sliced almonds and garlic, lots of butter, keep the heat low so you dont brown the butter, and finnish with fresh grated parma cheese!

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Bishop like this.
  17. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Asparagus wrapped with honey ham and fried in olive oil and home made honey musturd

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

From the resident veggie master. "Pan's not hot enough."

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Lol! Not sure if I want the kid taking a propane torch to dinner. Though that is a very creative idea

Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What type of oil does your Veggie master use?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. BenP
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. duane
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid