Making Pan Grilled Vegetables

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Summer grilling! yum. If you want the effect of the grill then don't cover them.
    I grill on the grill or broil in the winter
    I use smaller cuts when broiling than when grilling

e.g. Red peppers I quarter them for the grill and start them skin side down.... to broil I do them in 1/8th cuts and start with the skin side up.... the skin on peppers is always toward the heat source to start

squash is the same my cuts are 1/2 inch on the grill and closer to 1/4 if broiling.
    grilled sweet potatoes are awesome just cut in 1/2 in rounds after you nuke me for 1-2 min
    onions in thick slices same for broiler as grill (I try to spray these in the bag before I dump in oil as they absorb too much oil otherwise.... asparagus is the same)
    asparagus on the grill is awesome, you can wrap it in bacon too ;D

The trick is to put olive oil and seasonings in a bag and dump in veggies and coat thoroughly. You coat the veggies in oil so they don't dry out on the grill. You can also just dip each side in oil/grease. I use the bag because most of the time I'm taking them to a BBQ somewhere.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Have all the veges peeled and cut before cooking...add veges in order of the time it takes to cook them....longest time first, shortest time last. If using cast iron pans, remember that the residual heat in the pan will keep it cooking for a little while longer...don't leave cooking pan on an electric hot plate once contents cooked to satisfaction...turn a gas ring off and heat stops immediately...turn an electric hot plate off and the pan contents may overcook while the electric hot plate is cooling.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You sir are dangerous............

To my waist line!
    Sounds awesome, gonna give it try and see if I dont love it! Yea, right, I know I will! Lol

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

"Just oil." Butter, olive oil, sesame oil. The biggest tip seems to be that the oil has to be really hot, so the veggies hiss when you put them in.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  5. hot diggity

...and this may be why I don't pan fry vegetables.

"Okra and zucchini make their own oil, so if you cook them in oil they'll get soggy. If cooking a combination like zucchini and green pepper (that doesn't produce its own juice), start the zucchini first."

It all comes down to practice. I like to watch, and will help eat them, but I'm not likely to do more than saute some onions and mushrooms for a primal omelet.

oldawg, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Come out perfect every time on the BlackStone Flat tops and the Blackstones are relatively cheap $250-$300 depending on the model. 4 independent burners so you can set a wide range of temps across the surface to cook each veggie at its prime temp and then bring it all together in the middle to burn it a bit. I have tried about every commercial and consumer model of flat top and the blackstones work as good as any commercial model. the other consumer models are usually more expensive and work half as well. Course their cast iron tops are about half as thick and their burners half as long. The only draw back to them is the frames are a bit wobbly, because they are designed to fold up and the legs are held upright with pins instead of bolts so there is some slop in the pin holes. I put a few tack welds on each leg where they fold to cure the wobble problem. Have around 500 hours on the first one and 300 hours on the second one of commercial use, but drag one of them off the trailer for home use quite often. I don't use any oil other than what the tops are seasoned with. What I like best about them for home use is you can cook the entire meal on them and they clean up faster and easier than the pots, pans and utensils used to prepare the same meal on traditional stove top.

DSC00076.JPG
    DSC00526.JPG
    34963296_10211343227688429_8978459420950265856_o.

7. hot diggity

@Thunder5Ranch, those Blackstone's look sweet! Makes me wonder if I could bend up a nice piece of iron plate and make something similar to work on top of a Coleman suitcase stove?

Wouldn't be worth it for me to use, because I cook one thing at a time, and most of the meal is cold by the time I finish cooking. ;) But when that woman cooks for me, she'll have five things cooking at the same time and everything gets done and on the plate still steaming hot.

Thunder5Ranch, Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

fresh zucchini has alot of water but the stuff from the tore not so much. If it fresh you do need to slice squash and set on paper towel or just leave out so they evaporate some moisture.

I only like okra fried and it helps to salt it and let it sit, then rinse and drain before breaking okra

Does your wife do something different?

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. hot diggity

Getting cooking instructions out of that woman is like trying to get blood from a turnip. She says of okra, "Right breading and oil temperature."

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

sounds like you are both well suited to each other;)

hot diggity likes this.
  11. hot diggity

Could be a Midwest thing. Nearing 50 years of conversation with that woman. She still hates me for stuffing snow down the back of her snow suit. :) One sentence at a time is a long talk for us. Usual conversation goes something like: "Off today?"
    "Yup."
    "Ice?"
    "Can do. ...food?"
    "On stove."
    "Cool."

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  1. BenP
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. duane