Making silencers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Oh it is.
    I've spent many hours looking at different designs, builds and (what I consider) failures. If a person is going to go the solvent trap route, go K cup for the most part. They are better than the mono's. Unless you have a CNC mill/lathe this is the best route. I have several friends that have purchased the 25 dollar China solvent traps for .22. Brother, they are as quiet as 95% of the higher dollar units out there. Got a local here that has one that beats my Silencerco unit. 1st shot is a bit louder, but you'll have that. The can I built for my CAR 15 in 9mm? Dude, you can hear the bolt cycle. K cups..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Mountainman, AD1 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The cone stacks work really well too.
    My cheap cone stack solvent trap is definitely quieter than my $400+ gemtech, only catch is the cheap cone stack is an inch longer and weighs 2 to 3 times as much.
    The biggest difference is first round pop.
    To me a silencer is only as good as its dry first round pop.

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Is there an “off the shelf” fuel filter that would be a good start for a 5.56 / 7.62 combo can on the afore mentioned form 1? Besides the combo from quiet bore?

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There's several suppliers they just may be out of stock.
    The fuel filter ones kind of suck.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Quite bore the best place to look?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Tully Mars

No, they really don't if you get the proper one. The NAPA 4003 makes an excellent suppressor with the proper form, end caps and baffles. It will take the 7.62x39 down to where you can hear the bolt cycle with sub sonic loads. In a bolt gun it sounds about like a CB cap with the above loads.

AD1 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Tully Mars

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Solvent trap kit dot com looks Iike it could be over seas.
    I would just pay a little more money and get one already in country.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I finished my quiet bore dot com solvent trap on a fairly good size 90ish horsepower 12x96 inch lathe.
    It works really good.
    The mouse hole tried to deflect the drill bit. There's no way a drill press or a hand drill would work. You have to use a lathe or buy their $75 baffel drilling fixture.
    If you were a bad ass machinist I would say finish the baffels with an end mill.
    I put the speed up to 540 and drilled nice and slow.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got a 9/32 end mill for any 22s I make, probably pick up a 25/64 inch end mill for 30 cal.
    The quiet bore dot com 5.56/30 cal can is huge, 1.5x9 inches and weighs 2lb.
    You can get a smaller thinner one that weighs 1/4 that for 5.56mm.

12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Tully Mars likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

[winkthumb]

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I ordered the quiet bore dot com 22 LR solvent trap with Titanium k cups and no laser engraving.
    Titanium costs 100 bux more but I can clean it with a sand blaster.
    Last time lasering delayed my 9mm solvent trap by 2 or 3 week and I found a local guy that does it.
    I got a warning that said don't bitch if it takes 4 weeks to get your shit because of the plandemic.
    I'm going to use a carbide end mill to drill the holes next time.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I just noticed the 22LR quiet bore is just about the same size as the gemtech gm22, but double the weight and 1/3 the price if you buy the all aluminum one.
    Might be a good match up for a comparison test.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I hope you apes have been manufacturing your own silencers. There's no excuse unless you're poor.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There's some pretty sweet looking modular stainless steel solovent traps on gun broker. I got one.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got the "glacier gear" modular stainless steel solovent trap in. It was like $300.
    It's supposed to be for "22LR" but this thing is a little club. It can definitely take 30carbine.

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Do you have to have “ the form” filed and returned before buying?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Nope because I don't know what the size is going to be. With quiet bore dot com you do because they give you a detailed technical drawing, but everyone else, not so much.

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7