Making silencers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Jul 10, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm going to tempt fate with the wife and do 4 this month.

AD1 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I think I want to build a 17cal silencer for the 17HMR.

3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

A buddy of mine put a rubber wipe in his .22 can and it works great.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The atf now considers replacement of wipes to be manufacturer servicing. But before 2015 it wasn't.
    Early commercial silencers were dependent upon user replaced wipes.

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Wonder if that applies to a form 1 can?

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They can legally only be served by an occupational tax payer. Or cut a form 1 when you change the wipe.
    It used to be only the original manufacturer could only work on their own shit. Now any special occupational tax payer silencer manufacturer can work on any silencer.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hey my titanium quiet bore shipped.
    That only took 5 weeks...

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh and just don't think you will be able to make a silencer and screw it on your gun and everything will be perfect.
    Today I leaned that if you screw a 22LR sized monocore on a 22WMR rifle you won't even hit a pizza box at 100 yards.
    I cut the distance in half and the bullets that did hit were keyholed.
    I'm going to retest with the cone baffel "trash can" solvent trap. The trash can has a bigger blast chamber, over all is a little bigger and has looser baffel tolerances than the gemtech GM22.
    I screwed the 5.56 appropriate rebel SOS on there and it was fine. But the rebel SOS is gigantic compared to the GM22 and the trash can.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

22lr is 223 dia bullets
    22mag is 224 diameter bullets.
    No surprises when using a gun and can with the wrong size. My single six is, for some reason, happy with mags, less so with lr. No can involved.

techsar likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All the 5.56 I load uses .224 bullets.
    The baffel holes in a typical 22 silencer are going to be around .28 inches.
    So a thousandth isn't going to matter.
    The first 2 baffels on the trash can are more like .32 inches, as I was getting really horrible instability even at like 5 yards.
    It's mostly because you are firing a gun into a tightly confined space that is so confined the blast is disrupting a bullet stability.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Holey shit a pair of form one cans I submitted back around some time in August finally went from "submitted" to "in progress".
    Edit: I originally submitted them august 30 and 31.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

It took them start to finish (Mer getting my stamp) less than thirty days at the beginning of the summer. My second 4 months just like yours. I expect any future submissions will not get a stamp.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Now I wonder since they went to in process and I sent in finger prints if they will go from in process to approved in about 3 weeks.
    I should resubmit my form 1 antifa peace lantern.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. madmax

You'll probably be ok. I think the critical date is going to be the inauguration.

...'course we are talking the vagaries of the atf.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

One of them is another trash can. The other one is the big black can or bbc an 8 chamber cone baffel 30 cal.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ok it took a month to go from in process to approved.
    That's normal.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When I originally got my quiet bore form 1 solvent trap I tried it out on the 92fs with no booster on factory 115gr ammo and it wouldn't cycle, as I expected. Well I went to the range to test out some of my 147gr +P reloads, loaded with hornady xtp over 6gr of winchester 540 and a cci 500 small pistol primer.
    Fired some with out the silencer, yep you knew you were shooting heavy plus pee ammo, put the silencer on, still with no booster and the gun fully cycles, it cuts down on recoil and locks the slide back on an empty mag. An unexpected surprise, but a welcome one.
    Need to chronograph because these 147gr 9mm sound like they are super sonic. The fired shells didn't show any signs of anything scarry.

Dark Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All of a sudden there seems to be a shortage of solovent traps.
    Texas.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ATF is going full retard on form 1 silencers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. madmax

You aint kidding. General word out right now is dont bother with filing a form 1. They did mass denials. Some gobblety goop about not really manufacturing your own if you buy kits that you only have to drill holes. You can easily see this government overstep spilling over to lowers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7