Making Steel from Dirt Video

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bear, Oct 21, 2006.

1. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yep on the spikes He would twist them really tight, not just a little.

He beat two horseshoes into a V and welded it at the V then heated them and then braided it using vice grips. Then he squared it and flattened one end into a knife. It was cool because you could tell that it was made from shoes. The nail holes and ridges still were apparent.

He had huge arms and hands and made everything look easy, it was only years later did I discover how much strength did that stuff take

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As one version has it -- (knowing it is a rip --)
    " 'Neath the spreading chestnut tree
    the villiage smithy stands --
    A great and grody man is he
    with filthy dirty hands."

There was a guy up the street in the town where I managed to get thru school as a kid that made a supplement to his retirement income as a smith. Made commercial grade horseshoes among other things, and was well enough qualified as a farrier and wheelwright. Shrinking a rim on a wooden wheel is trick. Watched him many times from a distance, he wasn't too friendly with kids. His right arm was considerably larger than his left.;)

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

On Iron:
    The most powerful magical metal and among the
    most magically charged of all the materials on
    Earth, is Iron.
    The metal most associated with magic,
    worldwide, is iron. Because iron is not
    found in its pure state, except as a meteorite,
    it is known as "The Metal of Heaven" and
    perceived as a gift from sacred powers.
    Meteors were carved into representation of
    deities; the original cult statue housed inside
    the
    <st1:place><st1:placetype>Temple</st1:placetype> of <st1:placename>Artemis</st1:placename></st1:place> at <st1:city><st1:place>Ephesus</st1:place></st1:city>, one of
    the Ancient World's seven wonders, was
    carved from a meteorite. The most sacred
    representation of the Goddess Kybele was
    an uncut meteor, believed by many to
    remain buried under the foundations of St
    Peter's Basilica, which was built over her
    Roman temple.
    Iron provides power and protection.
    Magically speaking, iron is reputed to
    restore health, provide vitality, both
    physical and psychic, and cure impotence.
    Malevolent spirits are invariably frightened
    by iron; it repels them and chases them
    away.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

just rewatched and WOW.
    God is IN THAT!

5. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Funny but true story. My Uncle was shoeing a racehorse that he had locked in a headstall and he warned me not to go in front of the horse. Being about 9 years old, of COURSE I had to pet the horse. The horse bit down on the muscle over my clavicle and would not let go lifting me up onto my toes. The scream I let loose must have sounded like I had just been gelded. My uncle grabbed the horse by both lips and pulled so hard it bled but it still wouldn't let go. He reared back and punched the horse on the hinge of its jaw and the horse let go and collapsed and I fell on my ass - considerably bruised. He pointed a finger at me (as big around as my wrist) and said, "If I killed that horse I'm going to whip your little ass till you can't sit". I hid in the barn for the rest of the day and they had to parade the horse around to prove it wasn't dead before I would come out - about 9 hours later. I didn't even have my neck looked at, just ran and hid - I was so sure he killed that horse [LMAO] [LMAO] [LMAO]

6. Bear

Made me think of "Blazing Saddles" where Mongo KO's the horse with one punch! [LMAO]

7. melbo

I just had to bump this one... I added the original video to Youtube so we don't lose it like a lot of stuff we linked to in '05-'06.

8. Bear

Thanks Melbo... you're a cool dude:D

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I like it. Only thing that is missing is a step by step that explains the process...... I for one have no clue how this is done. I understand the iron ore and ferrite being melted down. I can't understand how you get iron from dirt.

10. ghrit

Iron oxides are in the dirt. I believe someone once said that iron is the most prevalent element on the earth beside carbon. It's everywhere, the trick is finding a high enough concentration in the ore (or dirt) to make it reasonable to do. Early smelting took place in MA in some swampy areas, for example, using swamp mud as the feedstock. Took a LOT of wood and a lot of mud to get pig iron, but they had the need as well as the wood. There's a museum in Saugus with a restored operable smelter, complete with a waterwheel driven bellows.

Go here and chase links for the Saugus Iron Works.
    Welcome to Saugus

Any monkeys in the area should stop off and take the tour, it is interesting.

11. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Actually, iron is only 5th on the list of most common at about 5% of the earths crust...but hell, 5% is still a substantial amount!

Believe it or not, oxygen is the must abundant element in the earths crust. Silicon is next.

Smithing has always fascinated me. Making metals from raw earth? Amazing![winkthumb]

Thanks for the video.

Byte

12. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Thanks Ghrit! [winkthumb]

13. ghrit

I believe, thanx.

14. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Now that is Alchemy and very very cool.

The Gregorian chant added to the atmosphere.

I enjoyed that very much.

Thanks for sharing.

15. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Hope you don't mind me posting this here Bear but it is in keeping slightly with this thread.

Heres a couple of Pics of a very old blacksmiths shop and grinding wheel that i stumbled across in Ireland last year..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bear

very cool.... pics....
    the old shops were awesome...
    Those old wheels sure were handy.... nice to see the anvil and forge is still there... could probably fire it up and go again...
    I'll go look for some more info on "Making Steel from dirt"....
    I really like the old ways... even though I've got some new tech to make life easier and faster...
    I'm an old fart remember... with not alot of time for waiting around.... but I do like learning about this stuff...
    Makes you appreciate things alot more....[winkthumb]

17. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

A healthy mix of the old and new works for me bear.[winkthumb]

18. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

that was just amazing,that could have been smiths from the iron age making sword steel. thanks for sharing that with us

19. melbo

This needs to be bumped annually for reflection.

20. seeker

seeker Monkey+

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7