Energy Making your own power over the winter

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Adam_L, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Adam_L

Adam_L Monkey

Hi All, I’m part of a team participating in the National Science Foundation Innovation Corps – a program helping scientists take their innovations out of the lab and into the market. We think the technology our team is developing may offer a lot of value to folks living off-grid, especially in more Northerly climes, and we’re trying to better understand the pressing needs and interests of this community.

Would any members of this community be available for a 15 minute phone call to help us understand the challenges of making your own power and whether what we are working on might make life easier.

Please comment below if you’d be willing to help and I’ll contact you privately to schedule a call.

Many thanks,

Adam

3. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

I can help, maybe. :)

Adam_L likes this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Why not lay out 'what you're working on', and make it feel a lot LESS like a telemarketing call in disguise ?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  5. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Sounds like Scam Sales Outfit... out of The Frisco Area... i don’t trust anyone south of Chico, in Kommiefornia...

Alf60 and Adam_L like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

Sure add me to all the wazoo players and semi English speaking phone callers that want to help me.

Too late, your 15 minutes is up.

Adam_L likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Adam_L
    Please tell us something about what you are trying to do. That way, we MAY be able to tell if we know something you can use. The large share of the members of this site are ill inclined to respond to a pig in the poke solicitation. OPSEC, you see ---

Other than that, you can read the threads under "Off Grid Living" and get a real good idea of what works and doesn't.

Adam_L, Dont, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Since the system of calling is free to me Because Im tech support , PM me your # & Ask away .
    I have Nothing to steer or say to sway from the companys who pay the phone bills .
    I come thru looking like all 66666666666
    Sloth

3M-TA3 and Adam_L like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Mine is built from scratch , learn as I go.
    I am primarily on a battery system, using the grid to supplement as well as solar and wind.
    I don't have all the impressive numbers, except the ones on my electric bill .
    If running nothing but lights and house hold appliances $25 a month.
    When I'm working on projects using power tools welders and other equipment $65-$80 a month.
    Each panel and battery and mill, is on it's own 3 position switch for on line, off line, and testing.
    With out this you don't know how things are performing. All my panels are different and I know what to expect out of each one .
    switching them in, the amperage of each panel raises according to it's capacity . Diodes in the panels manufacture and my own prevent back feeding and over night loss .

Adam_L likes this.
  10. Adam_L

Adam_L Monkey

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I can promise I'm not a telemarketer, but then if I were a telemarketer I would also say that, so... Sorry for the vagueness around the product, it was intentional to try to avoid biasing the conversation. I'm trying research a problem rather than sell a solution. Let me set up an efficient way of scheduling calls and I'll get back to those who offered help directly.
    PS: If latitude is a criteria of credibility, I do live in California now, but I'm British (from the north of England), so I'm more northerly than all Americans except Alaskans and most Canadians :)

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I'll be hearing my home tongue ;)

12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

But will you understand each other?! :lol:

HK_User likes this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. DKR
  3. Big Ron
  4. Graciesdad