making your own yeast for baking

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by CATO, Oct 10, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

So, you've got lots of buckets of wheat post-SHTF. 3-4 years into it, you still have lots of buckets to make bread....but, now you're eating Matzah because your yeast has died (awwwww).

http://originalyeast.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-make-yeast-water.html

============================================================

Fruits, vegetables and all other things in natural settings have yeast around their surface.

You can separate those yeast by simply soaking them into water for several days.

Originally commercial yeast (Saf, fermipan or allstar....) were cultivated in a same way and strong yeast cells were separated and cultivated for stable fermentation (rise).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    WHAT YOU NEED

`a clean glass jar ( I use 24oz apple sauce jar from Trader Joe's)

`clean water (purified or bottoled water, tap water ok, don't use alkaline water)

`organic raisin (almost any kind of dry fruits work but raisin's yeast is strong, I prefer green raisin)

1. Put a hand ful of raisin in the jar. (*about 3-4 tablespoonful. when you put more fruits it will be done sooner)

2. pour water to fill 80% of the jar.

3. loosely close the jar.

4. leave it at room temperature.

5. wait for few days until small bubbles sufface and smells like wine.

(almost all raisins should be floating by this time)

(It would be d0ne in about 3 days in summer, 6-7dasy in winter.)

If you don't have enough amount of one kind of dry fruit, you can mix several kinds such as raisin, apricot, apple or cranberry.

6. once it's done, store it in refrigerator.

Now you have your own natural yeast water for baking!

**ADDING 1-2TBSP "SUGAR" OR "HONEY" TO YOUR JAR MAKES YOUR YEAST WATER FERMENT FASTER AND LEAD TO BETTER RESULT. (YOU CAN GET 'STRONGER' YEAST WATER)

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Here is a link to a website with a host of DIY fruit yeast water, bread and pastry baking recipes.

http://originalyeast.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/how-to-make-yeast-water.html

The Fresh Loaf is another website featuring DIY yeast water recipes (using fruit and other starter media such as rice etc. The web pages are richly sprinkled with pictures showing the methods of making yeast starters and the recipes for making bread with them.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/keyword/fruit-yeast

Edit: If you aren't able to source fruit: dried or fresh, a yeast water can apparently be made from tea leaves.

http://originalyeast.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/tea-leaf-yeast.html

3. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

Yet another thing I never thought of. Thank you gonna have to try this, the rain is back and its time to play in the barn.

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

5. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Actually, it's easier than that. When my wife murders my starter (every time I deploy), I make a new one. Combine equal parts water and flour. Let it sit on the counter for a day, dump half, replace with equal parts flour and water. Repeat until mixture gets foamy on top. Then store in the refrigerator. Pull it out at least every three months and dump a bunch and then feed it. I've dried and crushed it to take from Okinawa to the states, then reconstituted it. This stuff is pretty hardy. I don't know how my wife manages to murder it so frequently because benign neglect would probably allow it to survive through a deployment. If it develops brackish looking water on the top (it is called beer, but don't drink it--it's nasty), just stir it back in or pour it off.
    Keep in mind, people have been making bread for thousands of years, and commercial yeast has only been available (U.S.) for less than 150 years. The bread I make with this starter consists of: flour, starter, water, and salt. That's it. Mix it up the night before, let it rise. Get up in the morning, knead it with some flour, let it rise again, pop in a 400 degree oven. Done.

IndieMama, Sapper John and munchy like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Ganado
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. alaskachick
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. thewildyam
  8. Ura-Ki
  9. Seacowboys
  10. DKR
  11. Powder_burns
  12. Bishop