Mall Rioting on Boxing Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

In the nearest mall to me is a Dunham sports.... You can get ammo for reloads and are conceal carry friendly... What more do you need?

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The pet store
    A hand full of snakes will clear a walkway 20' wide!

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, it depends on who is staffing the info booth. Gotta say, V, casing the place might be worth your excursion into the local mall, just because.

That's one, there are two more that entered my MT head that all malls seem to have, tho' (hint) one of them may not be open the same hours as the rest of the mall.

Phui. Rioters won't even see them, they'll be looking for where the next punch is coming from.

Maybe, but in my experience not all malls have sporting goods stores. Headed the right way, tho'.

Don't forget, not all malls are totally enclosed. That won't help for this exercise, but would introduce another variable.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You underestimate the fear a certain group of people have of reptiles.

5. ghrit

Well, not really. My ex MIL could set olympic 100 meter records if she saw a snake. Probably still could at 90 yo.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Klamath Falls and Lakeview are the nearest 'towns', and neither of them have malls. Nearest would probably be Medford/Ashland area, which is 3 hours away or so, and we don't drive. Even when I visit my family up in Washington state every few years, don't go to the mall.

In-mall bank offices?

7. ghrit

Yes, good thinking. With jewelry stores, that's two. Third option?

8. Witch Doctor 01

Security office...

9. ghrit

Bingo! Places with a bit of extra security, however little. There may be others, keep your eyes open -
    -Bling stores
    -Bank branches
    -Mall office (which is more than likely to share space with the security office.)

ghrit's thinking is to get to any of those three places far and away in preference to heading out the door because the riot may spill outside. Most mall space renters will have gates that will come down in short order, so it behooves me to know where those particular stores are and get in post haste. Chances are, the office will also shut down quickly, so that option might not last too long. I have to say that the last place I want to be is in a bathroom stall, as that eliminates tactical movement even if it is a hide.

FWIW, most mall stores with or without extra security also have back doors, if escape becomes reasonable or you can't get to one the preferred three. YMMV

Remaining question, then, does it make any difference if you are armed or not?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I can throw snakes like Mardi Gras beads!
    It's like a mama bird feeding her chicks.

11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

It always makes a difference, but in a crowded locale, it's gonna affect your chances of hitting your intended target. Of course if it's an angry/violent mob, any of them going down has a good chance of being a deterrent to the rest of them.

12. Witch Doctor 01

As to the stion of being armed... Most of the time you will be limited with what you can use...

Fire arm.. Not so. Much.. You can't use them to. Stop a misdemeanor (affray)... But a nice heavy stick.. That's the ticket ☺

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Errm question...

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nothing like a nice Cane, or Walking Stick, for Gun Free Zone Self-Defense....

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit's answer is that it makes no difference where you go whether armed or not, nor does it matter if it's a posted gun free zone. The idea is to find a place to be while the riot plays itself out. Now, as it happens, the usual rules for lethal force applies, no matter if you have a 45, a baseball bat or a broom from behind the counter (or a cane, if you carry one by want or need). With the riot going on, a defensive mental posture is the ticket to avoiding being over-run by out of control baddies.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  16. ghrit

Your goal, it seems to me, is to keep you and yours from dents, dings or worse, not to stop the fight that they may be doing on their own. You're in a corner and the threat is approaching, how to tell if it's a felony or misdemeanor before it happens? Your call, but I don't have the strength of Big Pappy (and maybe not the space) to swing a stick ---. Uv cuss, if it's an option, having options is always good.

17. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I was thinking welfare office or employment office. These animals would never riot in the first or go near the second, even if they knew where it was.

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It must be an American phenomenon......I travel through shopping malls fairly frequently in Sydney and Brisbane....never had any issues with rioting happening.....simply because they don't.

19. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Gun Free Zones? Sorry but no. Gun Free Zone is the biggest red flag for me, so I don't enter or pack when I do. Nothing like advertising to the bad guys "Hi! We're all un-armed sheep here!". And malls, nothing there I need. Too many people, too little parking.

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Many malls have sporting good stores, so going in and getting a bat to hold is an option. One thing that came to mind was if a riot did break out, there are many innocent bystanders. Some of the victims would be families with children which I would feel compelled to help. Imagine a riot breaking out and seeing a Mother with a stroller and a toddler being tapped in the mayhem. I would want to help get them to safety. I would be prone to help others. I do dumb stuff like helping others and putting myself at risk. It is an affliction. I think @ghrit's posts are correct, there are stores that are probably more secure then others.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Shinzo
  4. Dunerunner
  5. BTPost
  6. magnus
  7. kckndrgn
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7