Mall Rioting on Boxing Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Frankly, I guess this is something else I need to learn since I returned as I never considered a riot at a mall. Yes, I have considered a terrorist attack, robbery, or assault at malls but never riots. Sure I go to a mall once in a while, mainly Sears to purchase tools that I need immediately but I normally take the same precautions that I would take going to any major store like Walmart or Home Depot: I go armed (I no longer even care if it is a gun free zone or not), I watch the area exiting and entering my car, keep aware of what's going on around me (situation awareness) if I am being followed of if someone is walking towards me...if the latter I never let them get within 8 meters of me without confronting them (look right at them, loud voice "What's up?" or "Wait. Can I help you?", left arm fully extended with hand held out in clear stop sign and my right hand purposely and decisively on my pistol in preparation to draw so they know...however that stuff have become second nature. I have given strict orders to the wife that she must park close to entrances if I am not with her or don't go...which of course I have no way of knowing if she does but I have reiterated numerous times and I think she gets it.

But, a riot is a whole different animal... not sure a Bank or Jewelry store would even let you inside if a riot was going on. I truly doubt it. Lots of variables there... One could get one's back in a corner so that your rear is safe while having 180 degree visibility in front with your firearm fully presented and tracking threats would probably be the next best position if you couldn't get into a store (safe place) or run through a store to get to outside. Honesty, if you are caught in the middle of it - well - you're screwed whether you're armed or not.

Mountainman, ghrit and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I figure most Stores in a Mall will have a Back Room/Rear Exit.... and the Riots usually will NOT be in one of the Stores, rather they will be out in the Common Areas/Food Court... So head into the nearest Store, and talk too the Manager, about allowing you to use the REAR Exit..... and then "Get the Hell, out of Dodge"....

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That, uv cuss, is why it was flagged for thinking. New hazards and threats pop up now and then, and this is NOT one I ever thought about before. And yup, you may not be able to get into a preferred shop, which is why there are lesser choices. Methinks, btw, that a riot will not leap full blown into existence, there will be fights starting that might leave ample time to become someplace else. Fingers crossed on that one --

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I concur. Something SHOULD be there to warn you: a bunch of nasty looking folks (Males and/or Females), loud boisterous arguments or people, anything strange/unusual (noise, gathering, flag(s), etc.), things breaking (like a jewelry store window)... the best defense is in ANY area where there is a multitude of people is to retreat and get in front of the tidal wave of people before the badness hits.

I think the best thing is to go into the nearest shop and head for the exit to the outside stating the obvious on your way out the door. The next best would be to get into some safe place and barricade entrance, just like an active shooter scenario.

EDIT: It appears most of these 14 incidents started in Food Courts...so either stay away or watch for large group of young people arriving at these places...better to stay away.

I would also say know what you are getting into if you get involved. I wouldn't get involved unless I saw someone was serious going to be hurt. Teens fights usually are not too serious.

Also, appears from the video that these are young teens, mostly black... another point to key on. Looks more like an organized 'us against them' after school type dustup but in a public place. Nevertheless, bad things can and will happen when stuff like this goes down.

EDIT: Should these type of incidents continue I would not be surprised to see teens being ban from the malls involved without an accompanying adult to be responsible. I would think the Mall is within its rights to do so. Comments from legal types?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Great... Like I need another reason to avoid malls...

Anyways its all "gun free" here (scotland)so stopping at the nearest sports store isent that much help.. I say head for the perfum shops.. CK1 makes for a bitchin flamethrower:p

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Shinzo
  4. Dunerunner
  5. BTPost
  6. magnus
  7. kckndrgn
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7