Man oh man!

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I went out at 6pm to put handles on knives - 6 of them. But I wanted to finish the flat part better than I had been, the part between the handle and plunge cut. What I found was that I'm not finishing it near good enough prior to heat treat (HT), and even though the steel is precision ground it gets pretty rough after the stress of the quench.

So I ground and ground with the flat platen, finally getting them all just so - much better than I've done before. Then I started buffing all the blades, but even though they were a mirror finish some scratches showed so instead of starting over with grinding I used the medium Scotchbrite belt on them all. They look great!

By the time I got handles on two of them it was 11pm - 6 hours just finishing and getting handles ready. Way more work than normally goes into knives at this price, but I gotta learn! This batch will look better than anything I've done so far. :D

Anyway, if you're new to knifemaking finishing is THE hard part to learn after grinding. Pay heed! :shock:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7