Man sets self aflame in Calif. protest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A man used flammable liquid to light himself on fire, apparently to protest a San Joaquin Valley school district's decision to change the names of winter and spring breaks to Christmas and Easter vacation.

The man, who was not immediately identified, on Friday also set fire to a Christmas tree, an American flag and a revolutionary flag replica, said Fire Captain Garth Milam.

Seeing the flames, Sheriff's Deputy Lance Ferguson grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran to the man.

Flames were devouring a Christmas tree next to the Liberty Bell, where public events and demonstrations are common.

Beside the tree the man stood with an American flag draped around his shoulders and a red gas can over his head.

Seeing the deputy, the man poured the liquid over his head. He quickly burst into flames when the fumes from the gas met the flames from the tree.

The deputy ordered the man to drop to the ground as he and a parole agent sprayed him with fire extinguishers.

"The man stood there like this," the deputy said with his arms across his chest and his head bent down, "Saying no, no, no."

The man suffered first degree burns on his shoulders and arms, Milam said.

Kern County Sheriff's Deputy John Leyendecker said the man had a sign that read: "(expletive) the religious establishment and KHSD."

On Thursday, the Kern High School Board of Trustees voted to use the names Christmas and Easter instead of winter and spring breaks.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Goes to show you the thought process on some individual background thinking.

3. Factfind

Factfind Old Hand

This poor soul had mental issues well beyond his perceived complaint with the "religious establishment". Rational people do not set themselves alight.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They should have let him burn. :censored: [reddevil] [flm]

5. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I agree with E.L. Who are we to argue if some moron wants to leave this world? If Kavorkian can help people by attending, can't we help by not?

Idiot flambe anyone?

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

He should have used a strap on wad of C4, would have saved a fire extinguisher from an ignominous (and wasted) end.:sneaky:

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I am all for idiots burning themselves up... I'll donate the matches.

8. TailorMadeHell

I'm all for that Blackjack. We could have 'Fry 'em Fridays'. If that is inconvenient for everyone, what about 'Toast 'em Tuesdays'?

We could make it a sort of pilgrimage.

'Are you down on your luck? Do you think a demonstration would set laws right? Is the man too heavy and you want to show him you mean business? Or are you simply bored? If so, come on down to Toast 'em Tuesdays, where you too can make a statement or just a nice display. Want attention? Want your fifteen minutes of flame, I mean fame? Come on down. We have professional firefighters there who know how to get the blaze going. They are only too happy to help out. Come on down and don't worry if it's crowded, we'll clear a spot just for you.'

Maybe if we charged them a few dollars it will become the new 'sport'. Self-emulation for the masses of TV viewers on Pay Per View.

Haven't people learned by now that such a stunt is only for a few minutes and people don't care what your message was, they only think of you now as that really crispy dude who set himself on fire.

Anyways, let me know how much gas we need and I'll get it on a requisition form.

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Disco Inferno playing in the background would have been appropriate

Burn baby burn

California could use more of this population control [booze]

10. TailorMadeHell

A big Hell Yah to that Colt. Lot more burning, less banning.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7