Man uses a spear to save girlfriend from a mountain lion

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Not as purdy with duct tape. We just fire harden ours.

Bear likes this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Hanzo thanks buddy... sounds heavy... how heavy do you think this would be? then again... I've held an actual katana and that's no lightweight... of course others here have also held and used actual blades and weapons that are pretty heavy too I suppose ;)
    Bully

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Bear

Cool... I'd love to see a piece, drill and cut it up a bit ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Next time we meet, I will dig through my stick bag and see what I got.

Bear likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yagyuzue supposed to be lighter than a katana even at 4 feet long. Was supposed to be able to be used one or two handed.

Bear likes this.
  6. Bear

@HK_User That what I was asking @Hanzo ... how long?

Doing research today while waiting on, checking on and going to the doctor with a house full of sick women... (yes... us Bear's make great fathers and daddys :0)
    Anyway... rattan seems to a staff material of choice... especially in asian cultures... couple thousand year old cultures that have many of those years perfecting the art of war and combat can't be wrong ;)
    Interesting reading... if the spear head was so heavy that at the desired length it would bend the rattan... the Chinese would pre-bend the rattan so that when held correctly it would present it self straight and true to the opponent... those Chinese are so clever ;)

Also found 2 entire chapters in one of my favorite books on my shelf... The Master Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas... devoted entirely to forging spear heads and axes... guess what I was reading today...

Bear

Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  7. Bear

Hanzo likes this.
  8. Bear

Just dawned on me @Witch Doctor 01 ... I actually have one of these already made... wanna see???

Witch Doctor 01, Hanzo and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Main thing, hope your family is feeling better.

For me, a speedy length is 20-24 inches. And coupled with a separate spear head would be really versatile. Got two tools that you could apply espada y daga techniques with. Together, you have a short thrusting spear (give you more clearance for the coup de grace on the pig you just hunted), and good length for chopping. Walking/hiking stick would be 4 feet. Six feet might be heavy and slow but I don't know.

I wonder if you shod both ends if you could attach the spear head to it. Might make for a strong connection. But I don't know much about that. Was thinking if the end piece(s) have an L shaped grove on two sides and the head has some king of bead or something that would slot in there, you could get a positive lock of the spear head on there. Slide it on down the grooves and twist to lock? May not hold in combat use, but will probably be fine for utility uses.

Bear likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I'm used to about an inch diameter.

Bear likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A drainage area

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397070925.578175.

Miss Piggy's Demise

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397070945.263271.

Bear likes this.
  12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Same here, I use mine for hiking staff and as a mover of cows and brush.

Bear likes this.
  13. HK_User

Lovers Leap?

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Kermit underneath?

15. HK_User

As usual, Kermit takes the brunt of that love affair.

Hanzo likes this.
  16. Bear

Just wondering about that as I start making one... deciding on the size of the socket ... one inch tapering down to a half inch etc... important stuff because I'll need to make a mandrel and some other tools to accommodate the forging of the socket...
    Thanks for the input...

Bully

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Bear

Actually wonder what happened to that little piggy... and also who might be playing in the water downstream :0(
    Used to play in the streams and rivers a lot around here... and on the neighbor islands... even drank out them... guess that accounts for personality disorders I have today ;)

Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I was wondering how many folks drank from the pool below the little piggy....:eek: Bet the did not use any lifestraw action......[gasmask]

Bear likes this.
  19. HK_User

I would bet that the other pigs had that little beauty eaten by dawn.

Bear, Hanzo and Yard Dart like this.
  20. HK_User

One of the reasons I always carried 3 canteens while hiking, that and often tourist of the female type hiked without a canteen.

kellory, Bear and Hanzo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7