Man uses a spear to save girlfriend from a mountain lion

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Where you stationed over in HI HK?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We have warnings not to drink untreated stream water. It's ironic that we have the best quality tap water in the country, our streams have cryptosporidium and other nasties.

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Many that go hunting or backpacking in the continental US make the same mistake not thinking about what may be upstream... even in the outback you get critters and such contaminating the water.....

kellory and Hanzo like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yep, Two years, lived in Kaneohe.

5. Yard Dart

Spent 4 over at Schofield... back in the early 90's..... small world

6. HK_User

Red Hill is where I blew an engine in my Triumph Spitfire. WW1 Fighter Plane type smoke since the rod removed a chunk of the engine block and dumped all the oil on the exhaust header. Rush hour!!!!

I coasted into a Mil facility and towed it home later!

Just happend to have a spare block that I had shipped over from SC when I was transfered.

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thank you for your service! Marine?

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thank you for your service too.

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. HK_User

I had a house there, I went to work at Pearl. Thanks I enjoyed my time of service and was lucky enough to see sons follow. All got home OK.

Oahu RED HILLUnderground Fuel Storage Facility
    Where Oil RUMBLES down the hill.
    [​IMG]
    The Red Hill Site is located on the southern end of the Island of Oahu, Hawaii, approximately seven miles northwest of downtown Honolulu. The Site is situated within the Red Hill Fuel Storage Facility which is operated by the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) and is secured from public access.
    The entire Red Hill Underground Fuel Storage project includes a reinforced concrete fueling pier and an underground water-pumping station. Construction on the Red Hill facility began the day after Christmas 1940. While the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, had little effect on the work site itself (which was mainly underground), the arrival of World War II in the Pacific did increase the demand for skilled laborers, especially welders, at the Pearl Harbor navy base. Nevertheless, work on the storage facility proceeded virtually without interruption. Work on the first tank was completed in September 1942, and the entire project was finished in September 1943, nine months ahead of schedule.
    Each vertical storage tank is 100 feet in diameter and 250 feet high. Lined with quarter-inch steel plate, each reinforced-concrete tank was rigorously tested during construction for leaks and pre-stressed with high-pressure grouting between the tank and the surrounding rock wall. While it required the labor of more than 3,900 workers in round-the-clock shifts to construct, the Red Hill facility is operated today by only four Navy staff members. During Operation Desert Storm in 1991, Red Hill was used as a transfer point for fuel moving from the U.S. mainland to the Persian Gulf.
    !--History and Heritage of Civil Engineering RED HILL UNDERGROUND FUEL STORAGE FACILITY Conceived in the early years of World War II as a plan to bury four fuel containers horizontally in a hillside at the U.S. Navy facility at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, the Red Hill Underground Fuel Storage Facility ultimately encompassed the design and construction of 20 vertical storage tanks—each large enough to contain a 20-story building—buried in the volcanic hillside and connected by tunnels to a harbor-side pumping station more than two-and-a-half miles away. Using existing rock as a construction shell, the project made use of innovative mining and construction methods that included building each tank from a central vertical shaft drilled 30 feet in diameter and removing all excavated rock through an elaborate system of conveyor belts specially made by the Goodrich Tire Company. Protecting more than 250 million gallons of fuel used by Navy fleets around the world, the Red Hill facility has operated virtually unchanged since its completion. Honolulu, Hawaii Constructed 1940-1943
    "We had about 4.5 million barrels of oil out there and all of it was vulnerable to .50- caliber bullets. Had the Japanese destroyed the oil, it would have prolonged the war another two years..." Admiral Chester Nimitz, Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Navy Pacific Fleet Buildings

Go To: PEARL HARBOR PAGE

kellory, Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Thank you Hanzo..... I had the pleasure of seeing my sister moved there when her husband was assinged over there my last 6 months, at Pearl Harbor.... fun to be in the same zone for a bit.

Hanzo likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Twiched for a moment... the boy went thru boot at Paris Island and I was thinking Pearl Island on that last post.....hahahaha

12. HK_User

Mine went through Great Lakes.

13. Yard Dart

I miss the islands.... great tour of duty for the most part..... loved the weekends down at Waikiki chasing the tourist.... :D

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@HK_User One is none... Two is one... and Three... well Three is for that female tourist without water that you just happen to run into (or over ;) on the trail (or wherever ;)
    Bear

15. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@HK_User

"beware the man with a hog farm"... I remember taking a friend to Molokai... bagged two axis deer... dressed them out and when done... my Uncles best friend told him to load up everything left into the back of the pick up.... they drove out to the edge of a clearing and dumped it all in some knee high grass... this was about 8pm... my buddy was appalled as these were two very large bucks and they just dumped the hides, guts bones heads... everything but the antlers... the next morning we drove back to show him... everything was gone... just some blood on the grass....

it's not just Bears that will run you down, kill you and eat you... pigs will too ... and they won't leave any traces that you were ever there... except maybe some blood on the grass ;0)

Bear

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The Mob is known for using pigs to get rid of bodies. The only way to know if a pig as eaten a human is to investigate it's DNA.

Bear and chelloveck like this.
  17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

@Bear sure would like to see pictures of your Naginata... is it the sword version or the true pole arm?

as to the diameter of the haft for a socket... what do you thihnk about making one that would fit a Hickory hoe handle?

Bear likes this.
  18. HK_User

I enjoyed the people and the sights. As to the Downtown district, well it was there to show friends from the Mainland.

Most weekends I would be in the mountains and trails or camping at Bellows AFB Beach. Had other Mil friendss from SC that were stationed at a little known or understood Camp xxxyz. They and their wives had an endless stream of Snow Country Beauties that needed fresh air, sunshine and companionship. I actually looked forward to a bit of Mil Service Operations.

I'll digup a few walk about pictures.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  19. HK_User

Did you get a chance to hit KMC on the Big Island?

I spent 2 weeks there in 1996, great time, rained each night and the water system had all rain water. Super good way to wash of a long day or to wake up to the sounds of the water hitting the tin roof.

Bear likes this.
  20. Yard Dart

We bounced around a lot to the different islands but I do not remember going to KMC. I think the worst area I played at was Kahoolawe. Never knew what the heck you might walk into over there...

Bear likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7