Man uses a spear to save girlfriend from a mountain lion

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 28, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

KMC is the PRIMO place to chill out.
    Kilauea Military Camp - www.kmc-volcano.com
    Speaking of PRIMO, do they still make it?

It was our "Base Camp" in 1995 during an advanced course with the University. Hike all day, have a good meal at the old Firehouse and sleep the sleep of the innocent and dead all night.

We rented the old Firehouse as a place large enough, for 10 people, to gather and cook most of our meals.

We had the inside track for the whole island and the time to enjoy the trip.

Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@kellory
    Off topic... from one of my favorite shows... SNATCH

WARNING... THE FOLLOWING QUOTE CONTAINS LANGUAGE THAT MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME "MONKEYS"

PROCEED WITH CAUTION...

OK... YOU'VE BEEN OFFICIALLY WARNED.... BEAR

Quote by Brick Top

"Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig"."

Yard Dart, HK_User and kellory like this.
  3. Bear

@Witch Doctor 01 I thought I posted a pic before... it's a Japanese socketed hunting knife that bear hunters use in a region of Japan....

as to the diameter of the haft for the socket... I was thinking of two versions... one to fit the typical tool handles we all have in the shed or the garage... and the other a pretty robust thick walled beast to fit a little over an inch wide staff, pole etc...

Also a short and and a longer length....

Also toying with the shape of the socket... round will turn in your hand if you use it as such... a bit oval with resist that... just thinking for now...

Bear

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Ahh...the outside oval for grip, but the inside can still be round...

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am going off subject here. I had been following this thread because I have a feline that comes through a couple times a year. I liked the idea of a spear and have enjoyed all the spear advice. I have come to the conclusion that you need two people to deal with Mt lions. One to get attacked and the other to save them.

The other morning the pup and I were walking. We like going off road and in the forest. We were quite a ways from any house. All of a sudden I hear something big coming up fast... I could here the heavy breathing. By the time I yanked the dog, turn around and yelled there was a 90 lbs dog within 4 feet of me. It scared the crap out of me. I realized I would have been toast had that been a lion, wolf or bear. I wasn't paying attention and I could not have saved myself.

Bear likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Watch your six! Especially with cats. Ambush predator.

Good idea to regularly check your back trail anyway.

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@Motomom34 , mother nature is a fickle b##ch. Never fully trust her. A walking stick with a short point on one end would be much better that nothing, and will help provide for better balance and footing. They do not alarm anyone either.
    I like a stick, because it is both sword and shield, in that it can be used for attack and defense, and still have it's mundane everyday use.

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It scared me so bad that I can't get it out of my head. I was totally oblivious. I just wander around not looking. My morning walks are peaceful and I just never think- danger.

Bear likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Reminded you that there are dangers all around you in the woods.... next time I bet your head will be on a swivel.... be safe!!

Motomom34 and Bear like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If more Old Ladies, in the cities, carried a cane, or a Walking Stick, I believe there would be a LOT less Purse Snatchings, and Muggings

11. HK_User

You are only at the top of the Food Chain if you earn that position and can keep it.

Bear, Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Bear

Yikes! @Motomom34 that is some scary stuff... do you walk with any type of protection? or at least a staff or a walking stick?

I suppose if any one of those were actually "stalking" you ... it would be a tough situation to say the least...

Interested to hear what others here who have experience would offer as advice....

No mountain lions, wolves or bears around here... just the two legged types....

Bear

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Bear

@HK_User Yup... unfortunately when we step out into "their" environment... "predators" move quickly to even or superior positions... not thinking about all the possibilities and applying common sense awareness is going to be a problem sooner or later....
    JMHO...

Bear

@Motomom34 Check out these sites... relatively easy and inexpensive to make yourself a good walking stick or at least modify an old broom handle ;0) with one of these...

Brass and Chrome Cane Tips

Artisan Combination Climbing/Walking Stick Kit | Projects | Craft Supplies USA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Motomom34, kellory and chelloveck like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I carry a 6' bamboo staff with me when I go bushwalking. Feral dogs, and possibly feral humans are probably the only threat in the National Parks where I go walking.

Motomom34 and Bear like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thanks for the link @Bear . Looks like a project that the kids will get involved in. They love building multi-purpose things.

@Yard Dart- yeah I have been on high alert since then and have thought about sticking closer to the roads. Some days I don't think people would notice me missing for hours.

I just want to walk in peace and listen to the wild turkeys. I don't think my position has been secured yet, it is a work in progress.

Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Currently I have been following the game trails looking for antlers. I definately need a stick or cane. I have seen people hiking with ski poles, always wondered why.

Bear, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  17. Yard Dart

It is very prudent to have a can of bear spray on you when tramping around in the woods. It can give you a chance to deter most any animal if you are caught in a bad spot. Mace is good also but the spray pattern does not have as much range....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Bear likes this.
  18. Yard Dart

Amazon.com: SABRE FRONTIERSMAN Bear Attack Deterrent with Hip Holster - Maximum Strength & Maximum Range - 35 Feet (9.2 oz): Sports & Outdoors
    9.2-ounce canister with dual propellant and hip holster for immediate access
    Maximum Strength / Greatest Stopping Power - EPA Registered & Approved
    Greatest Range, The Only bear spray with a 35 foot range permitting maximum distance from the threat
    Heavy Fog Delivery System, Releases and impressive 52 grams / second, up to 84% more than other brands
    Field Tested by the Elmendorf, Air Force Base in Alaska

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

HK_User and Bear like this.
  20. HK_User

WOW, price is a bit step for me.

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7