Manganese Phosphate Parkerizing

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Getting ready to try my hand at this. I bought a stainless steel tank that holds six gallons; it's 40"x6"x6". I modified a gas grill into a heater that should distribute the heat fairly evenly and avoid any hot-spots. I got plenty of manganese phosphate solution and a SS thermometer to monitor the solution temperature. I have a fresh-water washing vat and another for dunking in WD-40. I just bought a blasting cabinet and several sacks of garnet. I have a mild slightly alkaline detergent for degreasing wash and plenty of naptha. I have a roll of stainless wire to make hangers for parts, chemical gloves. goggles, ventilation fan...am I missing anything? Maybe I can talk one of you into sending me a gun to try it out on before I attempt my new STG58? :sneaky:

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

SC, I mentioned the in-house we have done and certain problem. Well....we've solved the problem (The "we" is by association only - Mike Sadlak actually solved the problems - I merely helped execute his ideas).

Here is the sequence we are using with excellent results:
    Sandblast
    Pressure clean with air
    Heat the parts in boiling water prior to parking
    Park at 180 deg using distilled water with the parking solution
    Bathe parts in clear water
    Oil

There is very little resulting "gunk" as were were previously experiencing but if the threads aren't sharp, we clean them with hot, soapy water after parking, then oil.

The results have been great - perfect finish.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Thanks, RH. I am glad you mentioned about mixing the solution with distilled water, I probably would have used tap water and I understand that the chlorine can cause problems. I plan to boil the parts in a mild detergent solution prior to phosphate.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

is this a flat gey "parkerizing?" the 18" barrel I bought was blued, my el-cheapo 870 express is remingtons flat finish;I was goingto use it as is but ... perhaps we could work something out( for just the barrel)...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7