Manufacturing an SBR (Short Barreled rifle)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by melbo, Jan 18, 2006.

1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Top: Mac-10 .45acp w/original Cobray suppressor, SBR'ed Glock 22 in a Roni kit, S&W45 w/Gemtech GM45, Browning Buckmark w/Tactical Solutions barrel and Gemtech GM22. and an SBR'ed CZ Scorpion.

Bottom: An SBR'ed Spike's Tactical AR-15 w/Black Aces Tactical Po'Boy 556 suppressor, and a generic Bushmaster AR-15 with the Rapid Fire M203 underneath it. Some of the 40mm grenades, left to right: practice/orange chalk, yellow smoke, green smoke, riot baton, and white star parachute.

2. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Okay, I have what is probably a really dumb question... When I am filling out my form 1, and it asks for barrel length and overall length.. How exact do I need to be? Because, I if don't have the short barrel, I don't really know. I doubt the 7.5 inch complete upper is EXACTLY 7.5 inches. I know the length of the lower because I have it, but how do I do this?

-JW

Also, someone said you can put multiple calibers and multiple lengths on the Form 1.. is that true? how so?

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

For overall length put a range of measurements you know different styles of stocks.
    If you are buying an upper and it says 7.5 go with that. It's going to be really close.
    Just don't pin a muzzel device on the barrel as that will "change the barrel length".
    If you were thinking gun laws were written to not be easily understood at best ambiguous, at worse misleading, you would be correct.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  4. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I had been considering making and SBR, but a gunsmith told me the ATF could come into my home any time they wished for an "inspection" of the arm, and search any where they wished. Is that true?

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, same as anyone with an NFA Tax Stamp…

Tully Mars and VisuTrac like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They have to contact you by mail and arrange an inspection.
    Having nearly a dozen silencers, a grenade launcher, a sawed off shotgun like the one the feds murdered randy weavers family over hasn't gotten me inspected yet.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  7. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I have found that after building a couple 80s it is easiest to stamp what ever numbers or info on the lower before milling. The stamping is a bitch once the interior metal has been removed, thing flex and wont take a stamp. Most engraving does not meet the feds depth requirement.

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

But laser etching is permitted and that's less than 0.001 deep.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

erm, I'd be careful on that one. ATF guide book says depth of 0.003 deep minimum.

ATF is a rules based bunch. And they are not going to let ya slide, they'll just add that to the list of charges they will pile on you later so you just submit to their will.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't have anything I made that was laser etched. Form4 stuff I have is laser etched.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man I saw 3 of those SBR with braces today, One needs really deep pockets, I pass me.

12. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

If it’s got a brace, isn’t it a pistol?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

For now...

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

a SBR can have any type of buttstock including braces.
    a pistol can only have a 'pistol brace' or tube.

the rules are so intentionally vague that you can easily be found in possession of an NFA item.

15. BTPost

That is why I am sticking with my Belgian Browning 9mm HiPower Pistol, with my Winchester Lung Blower Ammo, in the two factory 13 Round Magazines that came with the weapon, when I bought it in 1985…. No matter what Plastic Piglosi trys to pass off as legislation…

16. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Do you have one of those sweet stocks for it, BT?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. BTPost

Naw, mine doesn’t have the milled Grip Slot…

CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've got a Springfield SA35 on order to add to the collection if it ever gets here. I'm real anxious to see how it stacks up against my Brownings.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

If it did it would be an Inglis Hi Power, got one in the safe

BTPost and Tully Mars like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

SBR eFile updates for 2023

Prerequisites:
    • Passport photo in jpeg format. This will be uploaded in Foorm 1` and can be attached to Form 23 (See note below)
    • A picture of roll mark or other showing Manufacturer, model and serial number in jpeg format.
    • Electronic Fingerprint file or fingerprint cards to be mailed
    • Scan of filled out and signed ATF 5320.23 Form 23 in PDF format
    The videos below describe the process better than I can describe. Once approved you will be emailed a PDF file of the paperwork you normally get in the mail.

ATF 5320.23 Form 23 Video Walk-Through Guide

Link to ATF 5320.23 Form 23 generator
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...person-questionnaire-atf-form-532023/download

NOTE: After you have saved Form 23 as a PDF file, you can open it in Acrobat reader and attach the passport photo. This will not work in the configurator

Individual SBR Walk-Through Guide

Gun Trust SBR Walk-Through Guide

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7