Gear Review Marathon GSAR Automatic Watch Review

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by melbo, Jun 23, 2010.

1. helment

helment Monkey+

Could you please tell me how much approximately it cost to get GSAR serviced. Thanks!

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

So it's been nearly 2 years since I started wearing this GSAR. I never did have it regulated after weighing the pros and cons of taking it apart to do so. It still runs a little fast and I just set it back every couple of weeks.

I've worn this watch 24/7 since I purchased it.

3. REA

REA Monkey

I just purchased a Marathon CSAR without the manual. Does anyone have a manual for the CSAR

4. lcarder

lcarder Monkey

Check on the first page of this thread.

5. melbo

I do not have one for the C-SAR. (Chronograph SAR) and I don't really know much about the watch. I'd love to here more about it.

6. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

Excellent review of an awesome watch. I miss my GSAR. Might get another one.

7. haltoninc

haltoninc Never Mistake My Silence As A Sign Of Weakness...

Great review, just got the watch a couple weeks ago, band came last week.Thx

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Pardon this rather naiive question:

The Marathon ads say that the "watches are "genuine government & military contract watches."

What exactly does this mean? What branch/group of the govt./military gives these watches out to its staff?

You see the ads for Luminox..."the official watch of the Navy SEALS..." Really...when you pass BUDS training, you get your free Luminox watch or just a discount at the PX?

9. melbo

Marathon was/is the actual .gov supplier so this is real rather than the usual watch hype you speak of:
    The mechanical wind field watches I have come in .mil packaging.

Marathon

GSA pdf(s) attached:

Attached Files:

10. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

I just ran an FLIS search and received "No rusults found for NIIN/NSN 200019382"

I did however find over 80 other NSNs for "WATCH. WRIST" from a least a dozen companies of which Marathon is one but so is Casio and 5.11.

The point is that there is no "Official" watch supplier to the Military or the government.

Also take my word for it being MILSPEC or having an NSN is no guarantee in itself of quality or function

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

11. melbo

12. Echo5Charlie

Echo5Charlie Monkey

Today I received my Marathon GSAR from TopSpecUS.com. I ordered it on Friday, a total of 4 days in transit from FL to PA. The reason for my purchase was twofold: 1. A quality automatic watch for deployment to Afghanistan and 2. A pass-me-down quality watch. A Rolex Submariner 16610 was my first choice, but $6k was a tad much for something that could get blown to pieces, stolen, etc.

TopSpecUS.com included a nylon 20mm OD strap at no charge - very nice! The included rubber band strap is NOT to my liking (very odd manufacturing smell and a tad bulky) so the nylon freebie was a blessing. I do see myself buying the stainless band in the future. Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the ACU Gray PVD strap would have been better than OD....

First impressions of the watch are great. Not huge in either height or weight, more like perfect (at least for me). The pictures in the review here are spot on. While not a Rolex, it still does scream quality.

This is the most expensive watch I have ever bought, the runner up being a Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay I paid $400 for about a decade ago. I can say that I was very apprehensive about dropping $780 on a watch I had never even seen in person, let alone had in my hands or on my wrist. I had done some serious Google surfing for my research and I must admit that this review was the deciding factor. Is the watch worth $780 based on my having it for less than 12 hours? I am pretty good with initial impressions of gear, this gets a yes but not a "super-awesome enough to stop me from wanting Rolex Submariner 16610 in the worst way" yes.

I do promise that if this goes down hill at any time in the future I will update this post.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with either this website or TopSpecUS.com. I simply wanted to point out that the review was top notch and the service from TopSpecUS.com was as well.

13. melbo

Awesome - Thank you for your service and out of our gratitude, survivalmonkey.com will buy you the ACU Gray PVD strap if you email us your address. When do you deploy?

Survival Monkey Forums - Contact Us

14. Echo5Charlie

Echo5Charlie Monkey

Thank you sir! My deployment is scheduled for 12 months from now. Given the current political climate, anything is possible. Sooner, later, never.....who knows for sure.

15. melbo

We tried to order this strap for you but TopSpecUS wouldn't take our money... they are shipping it off to you as a gift. Enjoy.

16. Echo5Charlie

Echo5Charlie Monkey

Wow, all I can say is that they are much more than just a top notch company. Thanks much!

17. melbo

Strap(s) are on the way - so TopSpecUS tells me ;)

Echo5Charlie likes this.
  18. Echo5Charlie

Echo5Charlie Monkey

I received two (two!) ACU Gray straps today, one stainless and the other PVD. I'd like to give a huge "thank you!" to Ron @ TopSpecUS.com and melbo here on the forum. I can guarantee that I will be buying the stainless band from TopSpecUS.com in the future along with other doodads as well.

No updates on the GSAR, I have not set it to "real" time yet. I do like it a lot, more than any watch I have owned yet. Nice weight and not too big to be getting caught on everything. The Tritium is very nice in the dark, no problem finding it when it is not on my wrist (which is not too often).

19. melbo

The only time mine's been off my wrist (24/7) was when I had some surgery on my left arm and didn't wear it for 3 weeks. Glad you got your straps. Keep in touch before and during your deployment.

ghrit likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Keeping us in the loop might best be done by setting up a blog here on the monkey. Do that from your CP, if the idea is at all appealing.

1. enloopious
  2. timberwolf50
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Jeff Brackett
  5. mage2
  6. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7