Marines Man Light Armored Vehicle on the flight deck to protect their home.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Aug 20, 2019.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Basically, you missed the point... The choppers are the major firepower that this class of vessel possess... When they are in use, projecting force ashore, or not in the vicinity of the vessel, the ship has very limited Defensive weaponology... The addition of the firepower of the Tracked Vehicle to each side of the vessel, gives the skipper, a much better defensive stature... The vessel already carries the ammunition, used by the Track, as part of the Assault Loadout, so using that for defense, when not needed during a non-beach assault Mission, gives Skipper, more options.... Holding back part of the chopper force for Ship protection reduces the Force Projection, available for any Mission...

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Hey man ,, them Jarheads need to have a sense of purpose while floatin' around out there on them boats ,,, I guarantee you , those Marines in that LAV were the most alert SOB's on the boat . I'd bet the gunner had a cramp in that trigger finger from trying to keep the pressure from hitting that trigger after 4 hours of watch . Back in my day , while floating around off shore of my combat AO , waiting to be told to board that Helo , I'd have swam ashore f they'd have let me ,, just for the opportunity to get off of that boat .

Zimmy, Ganado, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Because it is not a Free fire zone. It is a CQZ.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

Those of you who have spent time at sea on a US Navy warship as I have can chime in whenever you like, but here is the armament on the USS Boxer -
    Armament: two Mk-29 NATO Sea Sparrow launchers, two 20mm Phalanx CIWS, eight Mk-33 .50 cal. machine guns, two Rolling Airframe Missile Systems. Ample in itself to defend and fight the ship against 'fast boats'.
    The most responsibility a captain has is ensuring the safety of ship and crew, which takes primary responsibility over any shore-based force or mission. If a US Navy ship and crew feel they need to chain down wheeled armor on deck to protect the ship, they should never be place in harm's way or the potential to begin with. I have not missed any 'point'.

SB21, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. HK_User

You can never have too much fire power at sea.
    We had 16 ICBM and small arms too.
    Not to mention a load out of Torpedoes.

SB21, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Why?
    1) For the fun of it. Marines have to find things to keep themselves occupied when underway.
    2) Attack choppers take a couple seconds to launch, more than pulling the lanyard on a track mounted cannon.
    3) JP8 gets used up a LOT slower if you don't spin up the turbines.
    4) Cannon rounds cost less than a rocket. Yes, you can make a case for shooting with the many barrel gadget.

I know it's fun to contemplate using dune crawlers to defend a capital ship, but it is ludicrous.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Why-not... If you have it use it options are always good... if you never use it it gives the marines something to do that keeps some of their skills sharp... and it doesn't cost much to do...

SB21 and HK_User like this.
  8. HK_User

Tell the USS Cole crew.

- LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE ATTACK ON U.S.S. COLE, ON THE REPORT OF THE CROUCH-GEHMAN COMMISSION, AND ON THE NAVY'S JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL MANUAL INVESTIGATION INTO THE ATTACK, INCLUDING A REVIEW OF APPROPRIATE STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY FOR U.S. MILITARY SERVICES

[Senate Hearing 107-609]
    [From the U.S. Government Printing Office]

S. Hrg. 107-609

LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE ATTACK ON U.S.S. COLE, ON THE REPORT OF THE
    CROUCH-GEHMAN COMMISSION, AND ON THE NAVY'S JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL
    MANUAL INVESTIGATION INTO THE ATTACK, INCLUDING A REVIEW OF APPROPRIATE
    STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY FOR U.S. MILITARY SERVICES

=======================================================================

HEARING

before the

COMMITTEE ON ARMED SERVICES
    UNITED STATES SENATE

ONE HUNDRED SEVENTH CONGRESS

FIRST SESSION

MAY 3, 2001

Printed for the use of the Committee on Armed Services

----------
    U.S. GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE

oldawg likes this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

^^^^^ Had the USS Cole had the same ROE we had in Nam inshore waters in '65-'66 the Cole would have had to touch up the fancy blue water paint job but 17 sailors would have gotten home on a battle ready ship to their families with a story to tell about sending some terrs to their so called reward............ in many small pieces.

SB21 and HK_User like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The then current ROE enabled the Cole attack to succeed. Plus, from this distance, I have no idea if the crew had a security watch set, tho' certainly the DC crew were on station. I don't know what the current rules of engagement are for capital ships, nor do I know if there are weaps mounted that can be depressed below the horizon far enough to pick off a fast boat at (say) 100 yards. So far as lessons learned goes, you can bet the ROEs have been modified greatly. I still think the Marines were doing busy work of their own initiative, and hoping for close in engagement to prove their idea viable.

Witch Doctor 01 and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7